Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Install an Emergency Eyewash Station?

How do you install emergency eyewash station?

My company alway fixes any direct connected eyewash station with p-trap to indirect connection without p-trap but I can't not find any code for that.

It should be protected by backflow but I am doubting that has to be indirected.

How do you install eyewash station in your place?

Re: How to Install an Emergency Eyewash Station?

Originally posted by khlee815 View Post
    How do you install emergency eyewash station?

My company alway fixes any direct connected eyewash station with p-trap to indirect connection without p-trap but I can't not find any code for that.

It should be protected by backflow but I am doubting that has to be indirected.

How do you install eyewash station in your place?
    Why would it have to be either?

J.C.

Comment

My master orders to fix it.

General contractors install direct connection to sanitary drain with P-trap.

and my boss does not like it so I alway repipe with indirect line.

Indirect connection is better and safer but I am not sure it really has to be indirected.

manual only recommend to use a backwater valve.

Comment

Gotcha'. I think. I've always seen them direct connected & NO backflow. Don't have the IPC codebook here right now but why would there need to be a backflow?

Are there RPZ's on water fountains?

J.C.

Comment

I cannot find anything in Ontario code nor IPC(international plumbing code).

I have seen many places installed indirected connection and when I see it need to repipe it.

Anyways people concern about backflow.

Comment

I don't believe emergency eyewash stations even require a drain

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Agree. It's emergency use only so what is more important, personal safety or a little water on the floor from an eyewash or shower? If you had a floor drain w/trap then you'd have to deal with it going dry since it is such a low frequency use.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Because they are an emergency use fixture only they do not need a drain. You can let it dump on the floor or stick a 5 gallon pail under it. If you want to pipe it to the sewer it needs a trap and a vent.
                sigpic

Comment

i installed a water eyewash station years back that simply drained on the floor.

i see there are self-contained units on the market that use a saline solution instead of water.

this might be another option for you customer.

http://www.fast-rescue.com/proddetail.php?prod=EWS3000

Vince

just a thought; if you are the only one there and you get both eyes splashed, how do you find the eyewash station?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    I don't think they do either. I could be wrong

Comment

I aksed with my boss today about it which I cannot find any clue.

He sad when he installed eyewash station a inspector told him to do indirect connection.

When I install in maintanance room which has mop sink I pipe the eyewash station drain into mop sink indirectly.

Comment

i installed a few of them in a prison warehouse. and a bunch of them in aclean room for making disc's...all of them were just 90 down to a floor drain
                        and the water was direct hookup.1 1/4.. pull the chain wet eveerything
                        khlee815. i had a plumbing inspecter state that he would accept drilling a 1/2" hole into the side of a mop sink basin as the airgap , because the 90 turned down into the sink,leaving no gap persay
                        how cool is that??
                        Last edited by frodo; 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM.
                        sigpic
                        30+ years as a plumber
                        6 years in the Air Force

Comment

I had to repipe the direct connected drain line with p-trap to indirect drain into mop sink with out air break.

I know it is against our code but if I make proper air break (1 pipe diameter or lager in here) the next day I have to go back to the customer again because they don't like spash water around floor.

Comment

I cant say about codes other than in Ohio but in our code book a waste connection is not required for an emergency eyewash station.
                            If you choose to run a drain line it should be an indirect connection by an air gap into a floor drain by an air gap. If the total developed length of the indirect waste is over 4 foot it would have to be trapped.

Comment

Thanks!

I always wonder if any trap need for indirect conntion.

Our code does not mention about it and some install trap and some don't.

I am the one who don't install any trap wit indirect connection.

But why 4' any reason?

Comment

Working...
                              X