X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking water heater....

I had a call today in which the people werent getting hot water to the bathtubs. On something like that I always check the water heater to make sure its working fine and adjusted correct. Anyway, the temp problem was solved by adjusting the faucets (single handle faucets). The water heater is in a closet in one of the bedrooms and they have furniture infront of the door, so Im guessing they dont see much of the heater. When I was looking it over I noticed the drip pan under it was full up to the drain that ran out of the pan. None of the fittings were leaking, so I can only assume the tank is leaking. This house is a rental and I have learned that the management company does not want to fix problems untill it causes a livability issue and the tenant complains. Also, if I were to report it to the management company it would be tons of extra work on me (they'd want me to take pictures, explain why the tenant never mentioned it, re-search the cost of a new one, etc.) whereas, if the tenant reports it they just get me to take care of it no questions asked.

Anyway, my question is this... How long will the heater probably last before it goes? Once the start leaking is it usually a pretty quick process?

Re: leaking water heater....

If the tank is leaking, it needs to be replaced immediately. Unless it was coming from the t&p relief valve, or a fitting. A licensed plumber should be able to quickly diagnose this, and complete any necessary repairs.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      If the tank is leaking, it needs to be replaced immediately. Unless it was coming from the t&p relief valve, or a fitting. A licensed plumber should be able to quickly diagnose this, and complete any necessary repairs.

I know it should be replaced immediatly, but they arent going to do it untill it causes the tenant a problem. Just curious how long it should be before it does cause them a problem. And its not the relief valve and like I said before its not a fitting. I will be swapping it out when they do want to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
        I had a call today in which the people werent getting hot water to the bathtubs. On something like that I always check the water heater to make sure its working fine and adjusted correct. Anyway, the temp problem was solved by adjusting the faucets (single handle faucets). The water heater is in a closet in one of the bedrooms and they have furniture infront of the door, so Im guessing they dont see much of the heater. When I was looking it over I noticed the drip pan under it was full up to the drain that ran out of the pan. None of the fittings were leaking, so I can only assume the tank is leaking. This house is a rental and I have learned that the management company does not want to fix problems untill it causes a livability issue and the tenant complains. Also, if I were to report it to the management company it would be tons of extra work on me (they'd want me to take pictures, explain why the tenant never mentioned it, re-search the cost of a new one, etc.) whereas, if the tenant reports it they just get me to take care of it no questions asked.

Anyway, my question is this... How long will the heater probably last before it goes? Once the start leaking is it usually a pretty quick process?
        Simple answer, it's already gone.

I'm sure the PM company would rather schedule the replacement during normal hours than pay to have it changed on a weekend at emergency rates.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Simple answer, it's already gone.

I'm sure the PM company would rather schedule the replacement during normal hours than pay to have it changed on a weekend at emergency rates.

Mark
          Nope, they honestly wouldnt....

Comment

Nope, they honestly wouldnt....
            If the tenant was there, you definitely should have told them. I'm sure they would like to have the water heater fixed before it destroys there belongings.

I can understand stupid apartment management. The line to my dishwasher was leaking for a while, when I saw it and told them it took them a week to go fix it. I went to the super to complain, and his wife comes out and says "Does he have a problem with his kitchen, the apartment below him has walls that are turning black." 2 minutes with a wrench earlier in the week could have saved them some trouble.

Comment

Gas appliance in a bedroom is a no no

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                Gas appliance in a bedroom is a no no
                And that would be why it is electric.

Comment

This is complete antilogic to me.

You find something wrong, you fix it before it gets worse.

What are you going to do when that drainpan line clogs & floods the whole place? Are you going to be honest and tell them you knew about it or will you lie and not say anything?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    This is complete antilogic to me.

You find something wrong, you fix it before it gets worse.

What are you going to do when that drainpan line clogs & floods the whole place? Are you going to be honest and tell them you knew about it or will you lie and not say anything?

J.C.
                    Im going to mention the leak to them tomorrow, but there is no way in hell I am going to jump through their hoops and go take pics and get estimates on my time.

Comment

And that would be why it is electric.
                      Dude, I was way off

Comment

I had a call today in which the people werent getting hot water to the bathtubs. On something like that I always check the water heater to make sure its working fine and adjusted correct. Anyway, the temp problem was solved by adjusting the faucets (single handle faucets). The water heater is in a closet in one of the bedrooms and they have furniture infront of the door, so Im guessing they dont see much of the heater. When I was looking it over I noticed the drip pan under it was full up to the drain that ran out of the pan. None of the fittings were leaking, so I can only assume the tank is leaking.

What about the T&P valve popping off on high temperature or pressure? Ever think of that?

This house is a rental and I have learned that the management company does not want to fix problems untill it causes a livability issue and the tenant complains.

So you are saying the management company would knowingly allow a unsafe condition to exist. They must realize that once they have been alerted to the danger and they willingly let it go uncorrected they would be liable for any damages, injuries, or deaths attributed to the condition.

Also, if I were to report it to the management company it would be tons of extra work on me (they'd want me to take pictures, explain why the tenant never mentioned it, re-search the cost of a new one, etc.) whereas, if the tenant reports it they just get me to take care of it no questions asked.

And they would expect you to do this for free I guess? Because from the sound of it you are not interested in doing this, kinda like it's too much trouble to make money writing up an estimate and document the work required.

If it IS a leak and not the T&P valve or a piping leak, it IS already gone.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have seen water heaters that have started as a slow drip at first and within a short period of time start running like an open garden hose spraying water out the top or bottom of the tank. A water heater pan may not even catch the water coming from the leak depending on where the crack is in the tank. So I would have to say this should be resolved as quickly as possible to prevent damage from possible flooding.

Comment

Wait a minute, if you alert them to a problem, before it causes extensive (expensive) damage, that will save them money. So, you should not hesitate to charge for your time to go look, evaluate, investigate (yes, on-line inquiries included) and present whatever evidence is required for them to do the prudent thing. If they don't understand this, try, try, try to make them understand that you are saving them money in the short term. Water damage can be outrageously expensive!!

Comment

Wait a minute, if you alert them to a problem, before it causes extensive (expensive) damage, that will save them money. So, you should not hesitate to charge for your time to go look, evaluate, investigate (yes, on-line inquiries included) and present whatever is required for them to do the prudent thing. If they don't understand this, try, try, try to make them understand that you are saving them money in the short term. Water damage can be outrageously expensive!!

Comment

Working...
                              X