X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron Toilet ring

Just ripped out the old flooring in a small powder room. Realized that the subfloor is rotted and needs to be replaced. Can't figure out how to put new flooring around the iron toilet ring on which the toilet site. Does it come apart? Or do I have to cut subflooring in half and place around the ring?
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-16-2010, 11:08 PM.

Re: Cat iron Toilet ring

Don't take it the wrong way but if you are "Rex The Plumber" it would seem you would know what to do. But no plumber can know everything-even though most think they do.

Without a pic it's hard for many other plumbers to give recommendations.

Carpenters that I have been around though, simply cut the pipe size hole (Not the flange size) on center in the subfloor. Then split it down the middle with a circular saw and install the two pieces.

While it gives a better floor to have 1 piece in my opinion, I haven't seen or heard complaints doing it in two pieces. And it keeps you from working on the plumbing.

J.C.

Comment

Providing you have a cast iron closet bend, I would strongly consider an "insta set" closet ring. It's a piece of cake to install and will allow you to adjust the height of the ring so that it is 1/4" above the finish floor. You will need to carefully cut the old ring off by using a sawzall or a similar device. Be very careful to make two cuts, one at 3:00 and another at 9:00. You only want to split the ring and not cut into the closet bend. When you hit lead on both sides its a good time to stop and it should be real easy to pop the ring off providing there is no flooring around it.

Comment

Thanks J.C. Everytime I think I know plumbing, I come across some problem I cannot comprehend. That is why I have a question mark after the plumber part. Sure wish I could type better and then you would know it is cast iron, not cat iron. I will give your method of repair a try as it appears to let me skip the "plumbing" part of the retrofit.
        Rex

Comment

Thanks, Rookie Plumber. I didn't know the height of the ring above the finished floor as it was flush with the old floor before. Now I need to check the height with the new tile and backer board. I will look into the insta set closet ring. Sounds like a quick fix if I have a problem with the height. is it easy to measure which size a person needs?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex the Plumber? View Post
            Thanks, Rookie Plumber. I didn't know the height of the ring above the finished floor as it was flush with the old floor before. Now I need to check the height with the new tile and backer board. I will look into the insta set closet ring. Sounds like a quick fix if I have a problem with the height. is it easy to measure which size a person needs?
            If your going to use an insta-set it's going to be the all too common 4" cast iron.

Comment

They make 3" and 4" insta set closet rings (they may go by another name in your area) if your house is older then it is most likely 4". After you pull the toilet you can measure the opening of the pipe. If you are raising the height of the floor, longer versions are readily available.

Comment

Re: Cast iron Toilet ring

great advice guys!! quick question: i have my instaset closet ring presnetly tightened onto the 3/4 inch plywood subfloor. I intend to put down 1/4" hardi backer board and 1/4" porcelain tile tile. Should the instaset be above the backer and the tile or keep it tightened on the 3/4" plywood sub floor?

attached is a picture...

thanks!! larry
                Attached Files

Comment

You need to set the flange on top of the tile..
                  Then screw it into the 3/4 sub floor

Comment

just came across a closet ring that was 2.5'' below the tile. after breaking out the old ring and lead and oakum, the new instant set 4x4 ring wouldn't fit onto the old cast 4x3 bottle. tracked doen a 4x4 cast iron ring and it too wouldn't fit

tomorrow i wiil use a die grinder to try and grind off the outer ridge on the 4x3 bottle fitting. i don't want to grind the oakum flange stop as i will have a difficult time in trying to pack my joint

old school at it's best

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Cast iron Toilet ring

With 3" pipe you run out of easy flange repair options fast

Comment

Working...
                      X