X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump Plumbing Question

I am installing a new sump pump and replacing the check valve. The pump itself has a 1 1/2" fitting and I have about 6' of 1 1/2" PVC.

Eventually, I will be linking the sump pump discharge to the existing 1 1/4" PVC line that leads out of the house.

The check valve I have fits either 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" PVC.

My question is this: Can I come out of the pump with 1 1/2" PVC to the check valve, then connect the other side of the check valve to the 1 1/4" PVC.

I know this will "work" but is it a good idea?

Re: Sump Pump Plumbing Question

Its not a good idea to reduce pipe sizes...discharging that is. Can you replace it all to 1.5? If not, make it all 1.25.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
      Its not a good idea to reduce pipe sizes...discharging that is.
      Thanks for the advice...I was kind of thinking that would not be a good idea, but as I'm not a plumber, I had no idea why.

Can you replace it all to 1.5? If not, make it all 1.25.
      I can probably replace it all with 1.5. That being the case, what would the advantage be to going with all 1.5? Just to increase flow? Less strain on the pump?

Comment

It should pump more. Depends on the pump.

Comment

It should pump more. Depends on the pump.
          I've got a brand new Ridgid SP-500 (1/2 hp). It's rated at 3200 gph @ 10'. I've got about 7.5' from the bottom of the sump pit to the cast iron discharge pipe.

That brings up one more question, since I'll probably replace the 1.25 with 1.5.

The existing 1.25 is coupled to the cast iron discharge (installed when house was built, I would guess) using a Pipeconx PCX 56-44. Basically, you've got the 1.25 going into a PVC "adapter" that takes it to 4" (not sure of the proper terminology for this "adapter"). Then, that 4" adapter is connected to the cast iron pipe with the PCX 56-44.

This PVC to cast iron coupling method seems a bit odd to me. Maybe not the best way to go if I replace the 1.25 with 1.5?

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
          X