X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Auger

We have older family members in our house and our toilet is always stopping up. There are no toys (no little kids) and we are trying to figure out if we have what we need. We purchased the RIGID 6' Heavy Duty Toilet Auger and it is still not going down. Are we doing something wrong? It is better, but not great. Can this product be added on to make it longer? Or are we just doing it wrong? Any help you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Toilet Auger

What does "it is better but not great" mean exactly?

How old is the toilet?

How old is the house?

Septic or city sewer?

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-26-2009, 07:42 PM.

Comment

If the blockage is occurring in the commode you shouldn't need the 6 ft extension.

When working the auger you may need to spin it in both directions left or right hand rotation until it extends all the way through.

Don't force it in, let it work it's way through with slight downward pressure.

You may have an object in the commode.

Most people blame the kids, but in my experience it's usually the adults that are to blame.

Forks, spoons, knives, underwear, toothbrushes, plastic caps, coke cans, cell phones, you name it.

Older folks sometimes take medications that make their stool hard which causes alot of problems.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

If there is an object in the commode you may need to remove the commode, turn it upside down, and see if you can see an object in it.

After I auger commodes and the water goes down, I always flush 5 times with toilet paper.

If it flushes 5 times with toilet paper, it was probably just a toilet paper and stool blockage.

If it stops up again, I pull it and check for objects.

Are you sure it's not further down passed the commode in the sewer line?

Run water in the lavatory and tub for 5 minutes to check. If the commode bubbles from running water elsewhere the sewer is stopped up.

Lenny

Comment

One of the stranger ones I had.

We couldn't get things working right so I decided to remove the toilet, take it outside and check everything.

As we were taking it out, you could here something in it "shing, shing" back & forth. When I got it dismantled and worked it around we got about 20 coins out of it.

The kids though it was some kind of Wishing Well.

J.C.

Comment

Forcing the auger in may cause it to flip in the commode and get stuck!

Careful just letting you know.

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

We couldn't get things working right so I decided to remove the toilet, take it outside and check everything.

As we were taking it out, you could here something in it "shing, shing" back & forth. When I got it dismantled and worked it around we got about 20 coins out of it.

J.C.
              It was in a way, your wish of easy money came true!

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                It was in a way, your wish of easy money came true!
                Maybe all plumbers should start throwing pennies in commercial toilets.

Best return on investment currently.

J.C.

Comment

One time at a Burger King, I pulled a commode, flipped upside down, couldn't see anything. Tried augering from the bottom, no luck.

Boss told me to bring it outside, he was coming.

So there we were in the grassy area of Burger King with an upside down toilet. People in the drive-thru staring at us.

He brings some lighter fluid. We set the commode in a position to hold the lighter fluid in the ptrap. Lit it on fire for two minutes. Put the fire out. Let the commode air cool. Ran auger and pulled out a childs action figure. The fire burned the arms and legs which caused them to shrink, and came out easy.

Learned alot from that boss, but he was a D-bag.

Haven't tried it since, I just sell a new commode now.

We were lucky that the commode didn't crack under the heat.

Ms. housewife, This is not a recommendation. What we did was dangerous and stupid in hindsight.

Lenny

Comment

Well, how's it going? Update please.

Lenny

Comment

Is the comode a new one ? Or a good old one??

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                        Had a 2 year old son and a missing door knob. The toilet flushed fine 4 times out of 5? I used a plunger and could here a slight rattling sound. Took it of, turned it upside down and the doorknob fell out.
                        I asked my son if he threw it in, YES he said, with a big smile on his face.
                        And so it goes!

Buck

Comment

Before I learned my lesson I fought trying to unclog drain with a Ridgid auger. How many hours I don't even like to think about. The auger kept going into a vent pipe and I coudn't get it to remain in the main line. Finally I called a drain man who worked just a few minutes and unclogged the line. I have never tried to unclog a line since - always call the drain guy.

Could this be happening to this lady - the auger going into a vent and not staying in the line?

Tom

Comment

my ex knocked a compact mirror into the toilet, and either didn't notice, or didn't mention it. I fought with that toilet off and on for a month, it'd flush fine every time i'd plung it.
                            finally bought myself a comfort height toilet, yanked the old one, looked into the bottom, and was staring myself in the eye. stupid mirror.
                            The plunging would stand it up, and flushing anything would lay it down.
                            The scary thing is that it actually let things flush.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                              Before I learned my lesson I fought trying to unclog drain with a Ridgid auger. How many hours I don't even like to think about. The auger kept going into a vent pipe and I coudn't get it to remain in the main line. Finally I called a drain man who worked just a few minutes and unclogged the line. I have never tried to unclog a line since - always call the drain guy.

Could this be happening to this lady - the auger going into a vent and not staying in the line?

Tom
                              I got the impression she was talking about a toilet auger which is used to remove blockages from inside the commode itself as opposed to a cable machine that would be run through the pipe as I think happened in your case. If this is true she would not have to be concerned with the vent.

Lenny

Comment

Working...
                              X