Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

water overflow from standpipe

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • water overflow from standpipe

    Just found there are some water overflow from the standpipe sometimes. How can I fix it? can I add something to seal the gap between the washing machine hose and the standpipe? or use something like this to seal the joint?

    thanks,
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: water overflow from standpipe

    The line is either undersized or has a partial stoppage, or isnt vented right, by making it water tight you are just bandaiding the problem and putting undo strain on your washer's pump. what size is the drain line, I ususally like to see 2"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: water overflow from standpipe

      Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      The line is either undersized or has a partial stoppage, or isnt vented right, by making it water tight you are just bandaiding the problem and putting undo strain on your washer's pump. what size is the drain line, I ususally like to see 2"
      not sure, I think it should be 2". I will put some photos here after work.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: water overflow from standpipe

        Sounds to me like you may be using to much soap at times and the suds may be flowing over. I would think if you have a blockage it would be overflowing every time you do the wash.
        ________
        BAHA'I FAITH ADVICE
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM.
        Mike

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: water overflow from standpipe

          Good call on the washing machine pump, many miss that detail.
          sigpic
          www.uandiplumbing.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: water overflow from standpipe

            Here are some photos.

            Looks like the drain pipe is not 2". Does that mean the plumber who installed it did not follow the code? The house is more than 50 yrs old. Maybe at that time the code is different?

            Do you guys see possibility to change to 2" pipe?
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: water overflow from standpipe

              If that bushing could be taken out without breaking the cast iron tee, then you'd be good to go. Looks like a lot of pipe - venting is also a problem, depending on your local code.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: water overflow from standpipe

                Imei007,

                I know this is off topic...but...while you're working in that laundry room area, do yourself a favour and remove that mickey mouse flexible dryer vent pipe before trapped lint causes a fire. Use hard 4" galvanized heating duct pipe. It doesnt cost much at all...try and not use screws to hold it together (possible lint catcher inside the pipe).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: water overflow from standpipe

                  Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                  Imei007,

                  I know this is off topic...but...while you're working in that laundry room area, do yourself a favour and remove that mickey mouse flexible dryer vent pipe before trapped lint causes a fire. Use hard 4" galvanized heating duct pipe. It doesnt cost much at all...try and not use screws to hold it together (possible lint catcher inside the pipe).
                  Is that even dryer vent? It looks like white plastic instead of flexible metal. It looks like it does connect to a ridgid vent (or at least a ridgid elbow), so it might not be that bad. I replaced the long section of my flex vent with ridgid duct, but use the flex for the 5' from the bottom of the dryer to the ridgid duct.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: water overflow from standpipe

                    Originally posted by cpw View Post
                    Is that even dryer vent? It looks like white plastic instead of flexible metal. It looks like it does connect to a ridgid vent (or at least a ridgid elbow), so it might not be that bad. I replaced the long section of my flex vent with ridgid duct, but use the flex for the 5' from the bottom of the dryer to the ridgid duct.
                    Used to see the white flex all the time, it's a plastic and really not a good product at all, probably why I don't see it any more.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: water overflow from standpipe

                      It looks to me that your standpipe is roughly 20" to 24" tall. Being 1 1/2" pipe I would couple onto the pipe and add enough to get you to at least 36". I would also look at the pitch on the pipe looks as if it is falling the wrong way.
                      Another thing is the trap to vent distance by our code is 5' for 1 1/2" pipe, looks as if you are a bit over that length. Just a thought, if you have the room to move the dryer over to the right and install a laundry tray between the two you could dump the washing machine discharge into the tub using it as a reservoir and allowing the water to drain. Parts should cost under $100 and could be done in a few hours???
                      ________
                      Honda Civic (First Generation) History
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM.
                      Mike

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: water overflow from standpipe

                        Does that line have negative fall?Or just my seeing it wrong?Herk posted a good ideal on taking out the bushing.Are you a DIY or just seeing what might be possible? Good luck,whatever you do.
                        Kenneth Collier
                        Maintenance and Sewer

                        P.O. Box 9441
                        Jackson, MS 39206
                        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                        drainman881999@yahoo.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: water overflow from standpipe

                          Sooo...no one thinks that old cast iron is down to a 1/2" inside diameter!?
                          Snaking will help also.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: water overflow from standpipe

                            Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                            Imei007,

                            I know this is off topic...but...while you're working in that laundry room area, do yourself a favour and remove that mickey mouse flexible dryer vent pipe before trapped lint causes a fire. Use hard 4" galvanized heating duct pipe. It doesnt cost much at all...try and not use screws to hold it together (possible lint catcher inside the pipe).

                            Thank you Chemeng. I will look at it. We bought this house in 07 and I didn't get chance to look at the dryer yet. One reason is we didn't start to use it yet.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: water overflow from standpipe

                              If it ever worked in the past, get it jetted or snaked thoroughly and it will work again. Unless you want to rearrange to laundry room and are going to have to repipe anyway.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X