X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: copper water pipe system

I used to think copper was king until I started working in San Luis Obispo County. The water chemistry can create pinholes in less thn 10 years in L copper. I was very skeptical about pex when it first came out and refused to install it. After 2 installation seminars and talking to several plumbing contractor friends who praised it I now use it mostly as an alternative to high priced and sometimes unsuitable copper. I still rough in tub and shower valves and hose bibs with copper for ridgidity.

Comment

copper all the way for me.

the mineral content in water is a factor that one must consider. it just makes me wonder, if the water is corrosive enough to eat the copper, what's it doing to your guts?

reaming is very important to prevent premature failure of the pipe. i will admit, i have gotten into the habit of not reaming. i know, my bad.

i have noticed that the higher the chlorine content in the water the faster things fail.

i don't know about the rest of you, but i find 50psi way too high as a operating presssure for domestic water systems. we have that pressure in the system, yet we install flow restricter's.

Vince

Comment

I just cant lower my self to use pex and plastic pipe in a house ...
        what happens if a mouse gets in there,,? he wont chew the copper pipe..
        It would be more like the holes in the plastic ice maker lines..
        Copper around here last as long as the house does,
        COPPER ALL THE WAY why pay a plumber to crimp that stuff together

Comment

Rats Looooooove Wersbo .... Dave

Comment

Some of you guys need to remember that if most of the contractors are using pex in that area (with great success) and you bring in your copper re-pipe bid you will soon loose lots of potential jobs. Corrosive water, and the high cost of copper is a major factor and I don't use type M junk when I do use it............my 2$ of reality

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
              Some of you guys need to remember that if most of the contractors are using pex in that area (with great success) and you bring in your copper re-pipe bid you will soon loose lots of potential jobs. Corrosive water, and the high cost of copper is a major factor and I don't use type M junk when I do use it............my 2$ of reality
              This is exactly why we use Pex on a majority of our jobs, Type L copper would be great, but it raises your prices so much that your quantity of work would drop. For a one man shop this might not be a bad thing. for larger shops, we need a good quantity of work to keep things steady.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I'm just glad that copper prices dropped from $70 for a full length of L to $26. It definitely makes those bids with copper a lot easier for the customer to swallow!

Comment

I love copper. In my area it lasts well over 50 years. While pex has some benefits it still looks horrible.

Plumber don't let friends use pex.
                  Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

When I first saw slide shows on proper installations of wirsbo pex I thought what a bunch of spagetti looking crap! I was old school union trained, copper: straight, level, clean, beautiful............Times do change or we get left behind; unfortunantly.

Comment

Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by frodo View Post
                        I think that is called a balancing valve,usually installed on the circ line
                        it has a pointer needle in place of a handle, with ports for a flow meter
                        on each side of the ball ...also known as a circuit setter
                        and that will work also
                        Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                        Dr House is on the right track but it is difficult to determine the return line flow from a globe valve and whenever a ball valve is used someone will always come by and say "hey who forgot to turn this thing back on" and your velocity reducing solution gets tossed out the door.
                        your right that would be a problem... i was just trying to give a general answer
                        Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                        I love copper. In my area it lasts well over 50 years. While pex has some benefits it still looks horrible.

Plumber don't let friends use pex.
                        this post is g2g

if your using a centrifugal pump putting a valve on the discharge side wont do any damage unless the valve is shut causing the pump to dead head and overheat

Comment

Working...
                        X