X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copper water pipe system

Will those pipes last forever if all joints are soldered properly? how many chances the water test is ok and leakage happens later? thanks,

Re: copper water pipe system

With proper water chemistry the copper pipe will last easily 50 years, maybe double that.

If it leaks it usually will be within a few hours of soldering. Seldom do I get a call back on a soldered joint after the 1st day.

Comment

Continuous hot water recirculating systems that do not have flow controls incorporated into the return lines will show pin hole leaks after as little as four years.

Comment

I Would NEVER use a Copper water system After what I have Seen over the Last 30 Years ... Copper is NOT Legal in residental Plumbing in Jacksonville Fl ...

In the area I work North of Tampa Fl There are Numerous pockets of Failed Copper .... Some Very Young !

At This point I have to wonder what WILL last Weirsbo ? ... So Far I have had NO Failures in the CPVC Systems I have Installed ... But Both of these Systems have to be shielded from UV ...

Dave

Comment

different water chemistry reacts to metals in different ways. Florida is from what i'm reading, a Bad place for copper, Other places have rather old systems still working with no trouble. I'm very slowly learning that blanket statements can make a person look rather uneducated.

I personally am a huge fan of copper, because many home-owners seem to think they couldn't possibly figure out how to solder it, so they call a plumber instead, it's good for business, and a professional copper job is a beautiful thing to behold.

I am also a huge fan of pex. For me the only two downsides to it are that I have to protect it from UV, and a homeowner can install it themselves with readily available fittings.

In the area's i've worked, cpvc doesn't seem very prevalent, and it's a material I tend to avoid. It has it's applications, but my little peice of the pie isn't part of it.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

With city water that is pH controlled (as in my case: the city of Toronto), and no recirculating water systems, I have 40+ years of trouble free service from copper. I have a buddy with a house built in 1959 with the original copper system, that's 50 years old, no trouble. These are not anomalies, these are normal examples around my city. Common knowledge. I could go on and on.

Comment

I know that I'm new to Florida(been here 3 years), so things might be different when it comes to coppers longetivity. I have seen it last 30 plus years down here(M copper!!!!) But I was a plumber in NY for over 15 years and ALL of the houses were piped in copper until about 5 years ago. ANY product shipment can be defective...I once had 3 small pinholes in a 2 ft section of 1/2" L. SO obviously it was a bad load. However, the fact remains: Pex is not UV resistant and looks like sh-t, Cpvc gets brittle after a few years(on the hot side)....but copper consistenly lasts more then 50 years up there. We will all just have to wait and see about CPVC an PEX, which doesn't have a proven track record even close to copper's!!!

Comment

Today I fixed a pinhole on 1/2" copper hot recirculating L pipe actually on the side of ell.

Also hot line has more chance to leak than cold line.

Comment

Don't get me wrong ... I have Installed Thousands of feet of Copper in Commercial Systems ... And Yes it is attractive ...(and prosperous)

I was at a trade Show and the Guy from the "copper delelopment Council" gave me his card and said "If you EVER have a problem contact me" Guess What he NEVER answered his E-Mail ... There was a hotel all Done in "L" (10 years old) and I called it "the swiss cheese Hotel" I made Thousands of dollars off that Place :-) Then They tore it Down Beacuse it Cost too much to Re-Plumb ...

And Yes The places up North DO last 50 Years ...

I guess Florida is NOT the Place for Copper

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                    Don't get me wrong ... I have Installed Thousands of feet of Copper in Commercial Systems ... And Yes it is attractive ...(and prosperous)

I was at a trade Show and the Guy from the "copper delelopment Council" gave me his card and said "If you EVER have a problem contact me" Guess What he NEVER answered his E-Mail ... There was a hotel all Done in "L" (10 years old) and I called it "the swiss cheese Hotel" I made Thousands of dollars off that Place :-) Then They tore it Down Beacuse it Cost too much to Re-Plumb ...

And Yes The places up North DO last 50 Years ...

I guess Florida is NOT the Place for Copper

Dave
                    Water purification system in the hotel?

J.C.

Comment

Nope Just good 'ol County Water ....

Comment

Then you got some inferior pipe or the county is putting something in there water that is detrimental to copper. No other explanation.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                          Continuous hot water recirculating systems that do not have flow controls incorporated into the return lines will show pin hole leaks after as little as four years.
                          I use timers and thermo-switches curently.I've got a friends restrictor I'm waiting for the opportunity to install.The problem I see with recirc's is a 1/2"(3/4" min.) return not reamed and running unnecessarily full time.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                            that I have to protect it from UV
                            what's the 'UV' stand for? thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
                              what's the 'UV' stand for? thanks,
                              Ultraviolet light. It makes pex brittle, and is damaging to many materials, "this is what fades the upholstery in a car"

I'd also always been under the impression that it wasn't so good for cpvc as well, but someone else commented that it was the hot sides of those systems that got brittle, so I guess I need to research this a bit more.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X