Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible leak, next steps

sorry in advance for the lengthy post, but I need some advice please

the floorboards in my kitchen have started to warp at the seams which has lead me to assume there's water under the floorboards (set on cement slab) - it's happening from the kitchen sink with disposal/ dishwasher side of the kitchen and has gotten progressively worse over the past few months

the warping seemed to coincide with a new dishwasher

when I first noticed it, I looked under the sink and under the dishwasher and found nothing - I had the installer (contract from Sears) to the house to check, too and he said it was neither the sink nor the dishwasher and he thought the following is the problem

the master bath and guest bath on the second floor are over the area mentioned above - he thought a leak was coming from somewhere on the second floor, traveling between the wall and warping the floors

the wall is shared with the dining room on the first floor and nothing is happening to those floors, he though the house might have slight lean since it's built on a slab

I have no idea what to do and the floors at this point are probably going to have to be replaced in the kitchen (pic attached)

what do I do? thanks again!!

Re: possible leak, next steps
    1. Is you house newly constructed, if so call contractor.
    2. Check all connections again with a flashlight.
    3. Picture may help us to help you
    4. Call a plumber you can trust.

Comment

I am leaning towards the dishwasher or its installation. I would pull the lower panel and put some paper towels under the front portion and go ahead and use it like you normally do. Keep an eye on it and get back to us with more clues.

Comment

WE dont know how old your house is,,,
        But if you do have metal pipe going into the wall behind the sink ,the arm going to the vent may be rotted out...
        Fill up the sink, turn on the disposal , look under the dishwasher back at the wall for water.

Comment

thanks all, here's an update

the house is 14 years old, no metal pipes (that I know of)

I pulled the bottom panel of the dishwasher and the floor was dry... I ran 2 full cycles and still no water

I filled up both sides of the sink and released them at the same time and looked for any signs of water, nothing

then I filled up the side with the disposal, turned it on and let the water run... again, nothing

so I popped the panels off the bottom of the kitchen cabinets both under the sink and under the cabinet that's next to the dishwasher and the floors were all dry so that's positive that water's not leaking from the second floor down between the walls (at least at the point I thought it may have been coming from)

I've attached some pics, you can see the dishwasher in the upper left corner and how the floor's warping between my center island and the stove

someone suggested a crack in the foundation?!? or because we've had an unusually cold winter that the foundation slab has expanded and contracted causing moisture but it's only happening (so far) in this one section of the kitchen and 2 more rooms have the same flooring

I can live with the current damage until I have the cash flow to fix the floors or when I have to fix them to sell the place... I was hoping to find and solve the problem myself as I haven't had steady income since April and was hoping to avoid paying a professional at this time

but I don't want the floors to get any worse, either

thanks again for any and all advice!
          Attached Files

Comment

that looks like laminate wood flooring, it's actually plastic on top and bottom, with a thin layer of wood, or glue and sawdust between them. very durable stuff, are you sure nothing got spilled in that area? a cleaner or cooking oil? maybe fumes from cleaners under the sink?
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Do you normally have a throw rug in this area?

I ask because I have noticed at my moms place when see had a leak she placed towels to contain the spill. A lot of water leaked but only the areas she left towels had any damage to the floor.

Are you using water at the sink and causing some dripping/spray on the floor. Perhaps rinsing dishes and putting them into the dish washer, dripping along the way?

Some of those floors can be very sensitive to water.
              That is "click/floating" flooring correct?
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Is there a vapor barrier between the concrete slab and floating wood floor?

Comment

it is laminate flooring - we do have a throw rug in front of the sink, but that's not to catch water, rather to keep the dogs from slipping as they round that corner chasing each other

we do cook a lot and have been pretty good about cleaning up after ourselves, but I guess it could be from water after rinsing dishes and moving them to the dishwasher or the pots and pans which air dry

the floors have been down for about 3 to 4 years now and this problem has only occurred in the past 6 months or so and has been getting worse without a lifestyle change in the way I cook or do dishes

we put the click, floating laminate over the existing linoleum flooring that was originally on the cement slab

thanks again - I'll keep my eyes on it if the problem worsens and pay special attention to any water on the floor

Comment

I hear what your saying about the dogs slipping. My FAT old beast can hardly get around on our floors anymore. When she sits her front paws slowly start sliding forward, inching her closer and closer to the floor until she just gives up and takes a nap.

I notice in the pics, the flooring closest to the cabinets and the dish washer appear to be fine. The damage appears to only be in the areas one would most likely be dripping water while doing dishes in the dish washer.
                    Is this a totally new dishwasher install? In other words, did you always have a dishwasher?
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Exactly when was the dishwasher installed? How many months ago? Why did you get a new dishwasher?

Comment

I've always had a dishwasher, I replaced it in September because the old one came with the house, was 14 years old and the dishes on the top rack didn't clean, so it was time for a new one

last night when cooking dinner, I was conscious of any water on the floor and between the island (work surface), stove, sink and dishwasher, there were times when water did get on the floor but so minimal I never noticed it before

I guess over the years if enough water was on the floor, it would naturally warp

since the floors are dry under the dishwasher, cabinet and sink, and I've ruled out a leak from that area, should I continue to look for a leak at this point or monitor the existing damage for signs of worsening?

thanks much!

Comment

Id just keep your eye on the area for a while.

That type of floor is fairly easy to put down. If you have the brand name and type you may be able to find an exact match and just replace the damaged area. Or you could just get a bigger throw rug.

Comment

so I leave for a 3 week vacation tomorrow and my mother is here to house/ dog sit

today, she noticed water on the foundation slab under both the sink and the dishwasher that I had never seen before, she also noticed that when you step on the seams of the floorboards, water squishes out

hmmmnnnn... we have set up a fan and will dry the space out - she said she will not use the dishwasher while I'm gone and will continue to look for more water

when I get back, I plan on removing more of the under cabinet trim to see if I can find a source other than the dishwasher

I'll keep you posted and thanks so much for the advice!!!

Comment

Your Ice maker line is something you should check out

Comment

Working...
                              X