Re-route Vent Pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re-route Vent Pipe

It looks close,,,,,,,,,,, Like Mojourneyman said you can raise the bar height a few inches to make it work out
    i would use long turn 90 to make cleaning out from the roof easy

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
      Dirty arm the sink drain into your vent stack.
      What does that mean?

Comment

guys,

i'm not trying to be a stick in the mud but what about island sinks?

there are venting allowances for those, why not this?

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          What does that mean?
          trap arm
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
            guys,

i'm not trying to be a stick in the mud but what about island sinks?

there are venting allowances for those, why not this?

Vince
            an island vent loops back over, so any water that might make it into the vent ends up running Straight back down into the waste
            Last edited by MoJourneyman; 02-02-2009, 08:30 PM. Reason: Vince, i'm actually kinda liking the idea of running the copper vent
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Unless someone feels like digging a trench from the sink to a wall close by, no island sink venting will go in here. There is a solution here but you will need a plumber to take care of it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                an island vent loops back over, so any water that might make it into the vent ends up running Straight back down into the waste
                i understand that part, but if the horizontal portion of a vent located below the flood level rim has an accessible clean out, and the vent pipe is graded back towards the fixture drain, would this not be the same as an island vent except that instead of going down, it goes up?

Vince

i might be way out in left field. never hurts to ask right?

Comment

I Think it's the difference between the vent being vertical on an island vent, the 90 at the top tipped at a 45 makes the horizontal portion very small. whereas with this situation it would be running horizontal.

Would it work below the flood rim? absolutely, there just isn't a variance in the code for it.

Comment

i dont see any problems getting the vent as high as possible in the niche and going horizontal with long sweep 90s. that would be completely legal where i'm from.. but that 1 1/2" looks like it's armed over to far.... max should be 3' 6" on 1 1/2" i'm just going to assume that 2" arming over is your clean out.??
                    are you getting this inspected...?

Comment

The UPC allows for the vent to be less than 6" above the flood-rim if it has something like a window or opening above the sink. You still have to go as high as possible but not the full 6". That being said I do not believe the IPC has the same exception and I believe Florida uses the IPC. Among all of the other solutions offered here, you could run the vent at a 45 until you reach the other side of the opening (assuming the math works). It may require relocating the san tee as well. A 45 is still considered vertical.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

yeah, no exception in ipc for windows, but our trap arms on 1.5 pipe can be up to 6 feet.

Comment

Wow! Thanx for all the responses on this. This is a project I'm doing myself, and hopefully it doesn't piss anyone off on this board, but I was hoping to do this without an inspection. I do want to do it right, but at the same time I want to what simply works.

So what is the verdict? Run a 45 up as high as I can with the drains running into the 45 and then vent like in my diagrams or drop the vent pipes into the drains as timmydsuperstar suggested in his pic? On the other hand, as rookie plumber stated - I should just get a plumber, but what would this cost? and what would he do that I can't?

Thanx again for all the suggestions, but not knowing all the terminology or circumstances of each suggestion, what is the easiest and best way to do this?

Comment

If I use this type of vent, do I need to have access to it, or have it vent to the room? Or can I just install this and cover it up in the drywall? Also, what then with the remaining pipe in the attic that comes from the roof? I would have to angle this off to some other drain pipe. Capping it off sound bad, as I may get rain water or whatnot in there. What if I did both just to cover my a$$. Where I put a studor vent on the cut end of the vent in my wall, but also ran a 45 off it as high as possible and then the small horizontal section to the vertical?
                            Last edited by bigbstanley; 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

these "studor vents" or AAV's (air admitance valves) are basically a one way valve they let air in but not out wich is good but bad at the same point they are better than nothing but u have better and easier solutions, if u choose to use one it must also be located 6 inches above your flood rim. ("when u think u put enough glue, put more"- mike holmes quoting his father)
                              hot on the left, cold on the right... so hot ladies to the left and cold drinks to the right? lets hope gravity keeps em down all night!

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                                but u have better and easier solutions
                                LOL, ok ... like what? I measured the distance from my flood level and I can get at most one inch above the sink Also, in my research I see studor vents under sinks, well below the flood level. If I did do both, (ran the 45 and add a studor) would I be OK, and can I cover the studor up in my drywall? I'm sorry for being so helpless on this issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X