X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-route Vent Pipe

I'm knocking out a wall in my kitchen from the counter up and in this wall I have a vent pipe which comes from the drain of kitchen sinks and goes straight up to the roof. I would like to cut this pipe, put an elbow on it in and reroute it through the remaining walls, up into the attic and then put another elbow on it to connect it back up with the vent on the roof. I don't really see any problems with it, but I want to ask someone if this will cause any problems. I guess I'm afraid of gas build up in one of the elbows or in the slightly angled horizontal section of the pipe. I've attached two pictures of what I have and on it what I'd like to do. Any thoughts, advice, or knowledge would be much appreciated. I guess I'm looking for encouragement that this is OK to do.

Thanx in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Re-route Vent Pipe

i don't see a problem with the way you want to re-route the vent. although i don't have alot of experience with that.

you may have to increase the size of the vent pipe depending on the length of the run to the vent termination.

make sure you go up vertically above the flood level rim of the fixture it's serving before going horizontal. otherwise a CO needs to be installed so the horizontal portion of the vent can be cleaned.

some of the other guys on this forum might be able to give you better advice.

Vince

Comment

thanx for the response! Sorry for the ignorance, but "above the flood level rim of the fixture" - is the top of my sink, drain, p-trap ... Also, what if I ran it at 15 or 30 degrees rather than 90 so that there is some angle (also a 45 in the attic back to the original pipe). What is a CO as well?
      Last edited by bigbstanley; 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM.

Comment

[quote=bigbstanley;205751]thanx for the response! Sorry for the ignorance, but "above the flood level rim of the fixture" - is the top of my sink, drain, p-trap ... Also, what if I ran it at 15 or 30 degrees rather than 90 so that there is some angle (also a 45 in the attic back to the original pipe). What is a CO as well?[/quote]

flood level rim refers to the top of the sink.

i don't now if you'll find 15 or 30 degree fittings. 22 1/2, 45, and 90 degree are the only ones i'm aware of. because the tie-in is above the flood level of the fixture, you can install the sink vent into the main vent with a TY fitting. i would check with the local plumbing code regulations regarding that one.

CO stands for clean-out.

Vince

Comment

Where I come from you can't do what you want to do. We have to be 6" ABOVE the flood rim level before we can go horizontally. What is going on below your kitchen, is there a crawl space?

Comment

depending on your local code, your pipe must run "nominaly vertical" till above the flood rim level of the last fixture served, meaning the vent pipe must run at an angle GREATER than 45 degrees until above your sink. above this point u must only respect a proper pitch so that condensation returns downward, the size of your vent is decided entirely based on the ammount of fixtures served therefore its original diameter would be acceptable IF it is properly sized, whats the dimensions and how many fixtures are vented ? also u dont have to worry about gas building up in elbows. also ive seen elbows available in 60 degrees however the less common fittings cost 3 times as much. hope this is helpful --- timmy
            hot on the left, cold on the right... so hot ladies to the left and cold drinks to the right? lets hope gravity keeps em down all night!

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no crawl space underneath. Maybe I can run a 45 from the corner where the two drains meet the vent and run it up as high as I can in that space. Then run it horizontally - it would only be horizontal for maybe 2 feet before turning 90 to go up to the attic. Here are two pics to help further explain and show my situation. The one with the yellow is what I am describing in this post.

Also, before I tore all this up, I had a contractor come out to get a quote on a new kitchen including removing this wall. He said that he had a solution for the vent pipe without even moving it. Something about a vent coming out of the wall into the kitchen?? I don't know about that, but maybe he had something else in mind. Any thoughts as to what this could have been?

What are my options here? I really don't want that pipe there cause I want to put an "L" bartop counter on that ledge. Is capping off the vent an option?
              Attached Files

Comment

we have a few plumbers on here that a fairly local to you, they might be able to give you more insight as to what would be legal for your area.

Generally speaking you can't run your vent horizontal until 6" above the top lip of the sink itself. then pitch the vent just slightly, you may have to raise the top of your bar to do it in your situation.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbstanley View Post
                  Something about a vent coming out of the wall into the kitchen?? I don't know about that, but maybe he had something else in mind. Any thoughts as to what this could have been?

What are my options here? I really don't want that pipe there cause I want to put an "L" bartop counter on that ledge. Is capping off the vent an option?
                  He's talking about a studor vent, they work OK, but they aren't something most of us are going to encourage using, they are mechanical and have a relatively short lifespan.

Don't cap the vent off, you won't like how that works out for you.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    Don't cap the vent off, you won't like how that works out for you.
                    LOL, I didn't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Comment

i don't know if this is legal in you area, but you might want to consider replacing the plastic vent pipe that is already in place with a copper pipe.

shine it up and varnish it.

Vince

i've made exposed copper pipe look aesthetically pleasing when i was unable to hide it.

Comment

Re-route Vent Pipe

Another thought. I would just have the drains run into the vent.
                        Attached Files

Comment

if where the yellow line becomes horizontal is 6 inches above the top of the sink its most likely up to code, if thats the case heres another idea sorry the lines are so bad did this in paint with a laptop and no mouse http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...rstar/vent.jpg
                          hot on the left, cold on the right... so hot ladies to the left and cold drinks to the right? lets hope gravity keeps em down all night!

Comment

Dirty arm the sink drain into your vent stack. If not, add 6" to your counter top height. That's your flood rim. If your vent can go horizontal above that your golden.

Comment

I might be missing something here but, doesn't the existing vent go horizontal well below the flood rim level of the sink? If it passed inspection initially why couldn't he reverse the vent 180ยบ horizontal then vertically to reconnect in the attic?

Like This:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X