Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Water meter making a loud tapping noise. Only when toilet flushed. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water meter making a loud tapping noise. Only when toilet flushed.

Water meter in basement making loud tapping sound when the toilet upstairs is flushed only. Its the only toilet in the home. Doesn't do it when anything else is used. Any suggestions.

Re: Water meter making a loud tapping noise. Only when toilet flushed.

it's possible that the water closet (toilet) is the closest fixture to the water meter.

meters are mechanical measuring devices and like the rest of us get worn with age and/or use.

i can only suggest calling the city and getting their people to replace the water meter.

just a thought.

Vince

it might be free of charge. when you call them, make sure somebody keeps flushing the toilet (WC) while you make the call to the city standing beside the water meter.

Comment

I would say Vince is on to it, meter worn out. Sounds like the basket is rubbing the side of the meter housing. This could be slowing it down and reading less water usage.

G3

Comment

Check valves clicking in meter.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
          Which would be a good thing, right?

That really depends on your ethics.

G3

Comment

Why is the water meter in your basement? Here they are located at the curb. If you have a water pressure regulator that may be your problem also.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
              Why is the water meter in your basement? Here they are located at the curb.
              It helps protect it from freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                It helps protect it from freezing.
                Who reads it, the H.O.?

Comment

Can be read with a handheld electronic reader. Alot of times right from the street.

J.C.

Comment

You think I should contact the water company to see if its their problem?

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                      Who reads it, the H.O.?
                      My house has an electronic box, but growing up they would come by like once a year to read it at my parents house. They only send quarterly bills anyway, and depending where you are it is really cheap so it doesn't matter so much (where my parents live ~$.001/gallon, where I am it is ~$.005/gallon).
                      Last edited by cpw; 02-04-2009, 12:14 AM.

Comment

yes thats what they do here. They electroniclly scan it from the outside once a month where last year it was quarterly. Avg. cost per month is $32 just for two of us.

Comment

Originally posted by libertysewer View Post
                          You think I should contact the water company to see if its their problem?
                          Why not? Could be and they should take care of it as maintenance.

J.C.

Comment

I agree thats what I will do. It won't hurt. Thanks for your imput.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              My house has an electronic box, but growing up they would come by like once a year to read it at my parents house. They only send quarterly bills anyway, and depending where you are it is really cheap so it doesn't matter so much (where my parents live ~$.001/gallon, where I am it is ~$.005/gallon).
                              About 5 yrs ago water co. replaced all the meters in the 4 towns served with meters that connect to the phone line. Haven't seen a meter reader since.

Comment

Working...
                              X