X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Heater

I have a Bradford White 38 gallon capacity model # MITW40L6LN10. I get hot water, but it runs out very quickly. After a 5 minute shower the hot water runs out and it turns to cold. Any suggestions?

Re: Hot Water Heater

Yes this sounds like a electric water heater and your lower element has burned out because it doe's most of the work
    of heating the water
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Check the dip tube. If your heater is from the late 90's they had a problem with the tubes disintegrating.
      ________
      IOLITE VAPORIZER REVIEW
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM.
      Mike

Comment

i agree may be electric, or it may be the dip tube not getting the cold water down to the bottom and heating ALL the water up.... or the obvious question.... is the dial on the tank turned up? maybe check on the sarificial anode.... it may need replacing and in turn it may take some of the minerals out of the h20 and prevent more calcium/ build up in the tank... keep us posted
        if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Try a volume test. The temperature should drop 30 degrees after 70 percent is taken from the heater. (You only get 70 percent because the dip tube does not go all the way to the bottom of the tank.) (The temperature drops 30 degrees because the cold water coming in mixes with the hot water.)

Example.

A 40 gal tank should have 40 x 0.70 = 28 gallons of available hot water.

Make sure nobody in the house is using hot water and that there is not a hot water leak somewhere.

Set the thermistat to "B" and wait for the burner to shut off.

Turn the tub spout on hot to draw out hot water only. Once the water is hot, fill a 5 gallon bucket and put a thermometer in it.

Take another 5 gallon bucket and draw out 5 more buckets of water. Put a thermometer in the last bucket of water.

The temperature of the first bucket should be approx 140 degrees, and the temperature of the 6th bucket should be about 110 degrees.

If the water heater passes the volume test, it is ok. Remember that in the winter, the ground water is colder than in the summer and more hot water is needed for showers and baths. A conservative shower requires 20 gallons of hot water.

Comment

Thanks to those who replied to my problem. It was indeed the dip tube, I did a little research on how to replace it and it took me approximately 2 1/2 hours to fix it. The part cost me 5 bucks! Not too bad! A couple of busted knuckles and I am out 5 bucks and I have hot water again, I can deal with that! Thank you very much, TOPDAWG!

Comment

Working...
            X