Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot vs cold

I was wondering ....who, when, did the powers to be determine that
    hot water is on the left and cold water is on the right?

Is there any useful purpose to swap their position....OK,I'm being funny here as it would mess up everyone unless if they are dyslexic!!!!

Cactus Man

Re: Hot vs cold

When I was 17 and bro was 20 we did all the plumbing in our house we were building. For some reason we reversed the order to the kitchen sink.
    In a hurry to get moved in, the fix was simple, pop of the H and swap it with the C. Thats the way it stayed until we remodeled a few yrs ago.

It has definitely screwed me up when I use the kitchen sink(same spot as the old one). To this day I sometimes find myself wondering why the water is taking so long to get hot.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Poking around the internet, I found this information, with no reference as to authenticity or source:

Started in just around the 1950's, just as a convention in the industry, no laws at that time.
      > most preferred set-up for right handed folks
      > helpful for blind folks, to be able to rely on left/right since they cannot read the letters

Comment

glad for the disclaimer. 1950's

i've yet to come to an old home, building that had hot on the right that wasn't a screw up. most of the time it's a moen cartridge that they had no idea how to flip.

i think the hot on the left, cold on the right goes back to the days driving on the right side of the road.

just don't tell that to our friends down under they're backwards with everything

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          When I was 17 and bro was 20 we did all the plumbing in our house we were building. For some reason we reversed the order to the kitchen sink.
          In a hurry to get moved in, the fix was simple, pop of the H and swap it with the C. Thats the way it stayed until we remodeled a few yrs ago.

It has definitely screwed me up when I use the kitchen sink(same spot as the old one). To this day I sometimes find myself wondering why the water is taking so long to get hot.
          That reminds me of the time I added a bathroom in the basement and did the plumbing for the sink from the back side of the wall. Yup, hot on the right, cold on the left. I didn't notice until the back wall was drywalled. I left it and sold the house a short time later - never got around to changing it.

Comment

Cold on the right actually got me into a bit of trouble when I was a brand new helper running water lines for the toilets in a house.

wonder why the toilet supply ended up on the hot side <.<
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

It goes back to the Mayans. King Pacal II had streams diverted through the Pyramids of Chichen Itza for luxury more than sanitation. The slaves would put rocks in the Sun to heat up and then place in one of the diverted streams for bathing. The other for drinking. The orientation of the Pyramid & stream entrance gave the one on the left the most contact with the Sun. Making it naturally the warm/hot side.

Hot on the left.

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-04-2009, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Wow JC you're good!

I can't tell if that's for real or complete bullsh!t

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  It goes back to the Mayans. King Zumbaruntu had streams diverted through the Pyramids of Chichen Itza for luxury more than sanitation. The slaves would put rocks in the Sun to heat up and then place in one of the diverted streams for bathing. The other for drinking. The orientation of the Pyramid & stream entrance gave the one on the left the most contact with the Sun. Making it naturally the warm/hot side.

Hot on the left.

J.C.
                  The only part you left out is how the cold ended up on the left at water closets. The answer of course is in the Egyptian days the water closets were fed with hot water. As such the supplies were on the left side. By today's standards our hot water would be much too hot so they have switched to cold water at water closets. However, the orientation of the supply remains on the left side.

Mark
                  Last edited by ToUtahNow; 02-04-2009, 11:16 PM.
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    It goes back to the Mayans. King Pacal II had streams diverted through the Pyramids of Chichen Itza for luxury more than sanitation. The slaves would put rocks in the Sun to heat up and then place in one of the diverted streams for bathing. The other for drinking. The orientation of the Pyramid & stream entrance gave the one on the left the most contact with the Sun. Making it naturally the warm/hot side.

Hot on the left.

J.C.
                    that's cool. thanks.

Vince

Comment

I saw this remodel on Sweat Equity with Amy Matthews. That Pacal's bath really needed a makeover!

Comment

hot VS cold

I was wondering...who?, when?, why?,

When did the normal layout for any sink water supply have the hot on the left and cold
                        on the right?

If the original installer of the sink faucet was left handed would we be seeing cold on the left and hot on the right?

Cactus Man

Comment

Re: hot VS cold

Just got back from a few weeks in Italy. Turned the handle marked "C" and out came hot water. Then I realized (one of those forehead-slapping moments) that "C" stands for "Caldo", not "Cold". It was on the left.

Wonder what the Brits do? After all, they drive on the wrong side...

Comment

You Ok Cactus?

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...light=Hot+Cold

J.C.

Comment

yeah I'm fine. I know I should have done a search and then realize I have already asked this question.

uh..how about this...do you believe in dejavu?

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                              X