Water heater flushing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater flushing

I've been thinking about flushing our hot water tank / water heater. I've never done it since we bought the place 3+ years ago (I know... I've got no excuses). I have no idea if it's ever been flushed before. I think the tank is about 10 years old.

So my question to you all is, am I better to leave sleeping dogs lie and not mess with it? I've been thinking about the sediment that's probably at the bottom of that tank cutting into the capacity of the tank. The hot water is sufficient for 2 adult showers in the mornings, but we might have another person staying with us for a few months, so I want to address it before I end up with a cold shower every morning!

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Water heater flushing

I say leave it alone. You may open up a whole new can of worms. You could get a little more hot water from doing this. You may also stir up that sediment and have brown water for a while.

Comment

I dont even flush out my water heater...
      You might get a little out ,but not much
      If the water heater co.s would put on a valve that would shut off after you turn it on to flush it ..I might
      Dont need the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        I dont even flush out my water heater...
        You might get a little out ,but not much
        If the water heater co.s would put on a valve that would shut off after you turn it on to flush it ..I might
        Dont need the problem.
        Easiest thing to do is replace the factory valve with a 3/4" full port ball valve and a 3/4" ips x male hose thread, do them all the time. Typically sell the valve setup to the owner at that point.
        sigpic
        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, that freed up some time this weekend now that I'll leave it alone!

Comment

I flush water heaters at least every six months and tell anyone I care about to do the same.If you need to change the valve go ahead.Also I have seen the water heaters last much longer when the homeowners run lower tempertures.

NHM loves it when I post this

Comment

ditto on DH's comment. takes only a few minutes and the dirt that gets flushed out is surprising, given that we are on the same municipal water system that feeds NYC.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I am not to fond of the lower temperature idea but if my water heater was around 10 years old and I wanted to take a longer shower along with knowing that I have a tank full of drinking water (some of us live in earthquake country) I would start looking for a new,larger water heater shortly. I like the ball valve drain bib idea as well.

Comment

the cleaner you can keep the HWH/HWT, the more efficient it will be.

when i worked for the gov't, the first thing i did was remove the factory drain valve and replace it with a real valve.

Vince

after flushing, it takes about 8 hours for the brown (temporary hardness) to settle down

Comment

I change the valve when they wont shut off ,,or the plastic gets a crack in it .....
                    With our water here we dont get very much build up..

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                      I am not to fond of the lower temperature idea but if my water heater was around 10 years old and I wanted to take a longer shower along with knowing that I have a tank full of drinking water (some of us live in earthquake country) I would start looking for a new,larger water heater shortly. I like the ball valve drain bib idea as well.
                      Rookie,
                      As I read it.You are heating the tank to a temperature to kill bacteria in case of a possible emergency.But what is happening in most of the cases is I see people prematurely killing their water heater because they have the thing cranked up.
                      Last edited by drtyhands; 02-08-2009, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X