X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water heater flexes

Why would a licensed plumber that knows how to solder install flex connectors that many have stated are inferior to hard piping?

J.C.

Comment

It is required in some places. See rick's post.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
        It is required in some places. See rick's post.
        Other than California or Arizona requirements?

J.C.

Comment

As long as there's no earthquakes in my area, I'll never use them.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i'd never heard the term before I moved here, we also always called it strapping. of course, we also used plastic strapping.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Another common name is Banding Iron. Probably the more common in my area for galvanized strapping. That plastic crap is just strapping. Personally, i prefer the banding iron with stove bolts over the plastic. In new apps its easier to adjust for fall, but prob takes a little longer and cost more.

Tip for plastic strapping that you may already know - heat up a 16d nail and lay it on roll of strapping in a couple of places melting the plastic slightly. It will keep from making a knotted up mess out of roll and allows you to unroll stap easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMGinAL View Post
                Tip for plastic strapping that you may already know - heat up a 16d nail and lay it on roll of strapping in a couple of places melting the plastic slightly. It will keep from making a knotted up mess out of roll and allows you to unroll stap easy enough.
                I used to just stick tape to the side of the roll, though thats an awesome tip. around here they use a lot of J hooks to support pipe, seems pricey to me but they though I was nuts for strapping everything.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I Thought the Insurance Company Was Nuts for requiring Straps on a heater in Florida ... That Was a First ! ...

Dave

Comment

On occasion ,I make My own braces. Use either 1/2" or 3/4" elec. conduit. Hammer each
                    end flat for 2- 1/2". drill hole and bolt. On a remodel we're doing now walkout garage basement S.F. 24' x 50' concrete, some dirt, and old cast Iron removed. New C.I. 4 " gravel 2" sand visquine 4 "concrete with 1/2'rebar 18"E.W.. plywood with 2x4 frame suspended from 2x10 joist above with 1/2" elec. conduit.
                    These carry the water heater,washer dryer stacked . We can pour concrete under these folks still have some comfort.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                      i'd never heard the term before I moved here, we also always called it strapping. of course, we also used plastic strapping.
                      Flexes are the flexible pipes that supply water to the Hot water heater. Not the strapping. Brasscraft makes some if you would like to see them go to...
                      http://www.brasscraft.com/Products.aspx?Id=227

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                        Flexes are the flexible pipes that supply water to the Hot water heater. Not the strapping. Brasscraft makes some if you would like to see them go to...
                        http://www.brasscraft.com/Products.aspx?Id=227
                        seperate conversation going on in the thread, someone was asking what pipe tape was

Comment

If on occasion somebody buys some wholly iron, I always loose it. It's the weirdest thing.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            On occasion ,I make My own braces. Use either 1/2" or 3/4" elec. conduit. Hammer each
                            end flat for 2- 1/2". drill hole and bolt. On a remodel we're doing now walkout garage basement S.F. 24' x 50' concrete, some dirt, and old cast Iron removed. New C.I. 4 " gravel 2" sand visquine 4 "concrete with 1/2'rebar 18"E.W.. plywood with 2x4 frame suspended from 2x10 joist above with 1/2" elec. conduit.
                            These carry the water heater,washer dryer stacked . We can pour concrete under these folks still have some comfort.
                            Tool can you get a picture of that?I can't see it yet.

OK now I see it...Temporary lift
                            Last edited by drtyhands; 02-08-2009, 01:30 PM. Reason: vision

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              I've seen this done a bunch for sway braces as well. However, it is not legal to use for earthquake as they are not listed.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                I've seen this done a bunch for sway braces as well. However, it is not legal to use for earthquake as they are not listed.

Mark
                                Thank's Mark, on each platform the rear is supported By the wall, The front by the conduit.
                                This is temporary until slab poured and tile laid. On underslab C.I. inspection , I may get spanked ! WILL TAKE PICTURES AND POST. Thank's fot the heads up
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X