X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend removable sewage pit cover

I'm wondering if there are any sewage pit covers that (a) are not bolted or caulked down (making them a pain to reopen for maintenance or repairs), and (b) seal the pit well enough to keep odors in.

I don't want to replace the whole pit just to get a better lid -- expensive enough that I'd rather just keep using silicon caulk to seal it.

Cheers all!

jh

Re: Recommend removable sewage pit cover

If it doesn't have an airtight seal, it'll stink....ergo bolts to clamp a rubber gasket, or silicone or caulk when the gasket gives up and tears.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I was afraid that was the answer

Thanks!

Comment

I've used starboard( a marine product ) to replace old steel lids. It holds up well and works like wood.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
          Also, you want to prevent ground or storm water intrusion.
          It's actually a whole-house pit -- so it gets groundwater and all of the house waste...which is kinda nerve-wracking, but with the second pit (just groundwater), and the fact that we've gotten through three "record" rainfalls without flooding, I think we're content to leave the setup as is.

So now my plan is it move the vent pipe over to the same side as the other two pipes (the discharge and an inlet pipe from the washer), cut the lid in half, and put a vinyl/rubber hinge across the cut so I can lift half the lid without moving any of the pipes. Then I can caulk the heck out of the back half, and then rig up some kind of clamps or bolts for the entry half, and just put gaskets under that half...or caulk it, knowing I'll only have to rip up HALF the caulk to get in there if I need to. Of course, if I can find a lid already hinged like that, I'll probably just buy it

If/when I get around to it, I'll post pics...

Comment

Plan it carefully with an eye to service; those pumps WILL need attention one day. We just had to replace a pump in an indoor whole-house lift station where they'ed tiled over and framed in and buried the cover during the recent remodel.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
            X