Leaking Frost-proof silcock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Frost-proof silcock

I have a frost-proof silcock that is leaking from the spigot despite my having replaced the seat washer. The silcock has "ABP USA" stamped on the body and is on a house that is approximately 15 years old. Would purchasing a replacement handle/stem assembly solve the leak, or does the entire silcock have to be replaced? If a replacement handle/stem assembly will suffice, how do I describe the part to the plumbing parts supply store?

Thanks
    Spakman

Re: Leaking Frost-proof silcock

Not all supply houses stock every manufacturer, so you need to find out where or even IF you can get parts, but to be honest you'd be better off just replacing the entire thing (time and money wise). Which you should call a professional to do.

Comment

take some pictures.

Vince

Comment

I've never seen those long stem assembly replacement parts, but perhaps they do exist. In any event, the whole brand new frost proof silcock costs 18 bucks- just replace it.

Comment

I've investigated my frost proof silcock installation. The unit screws into an unsupported (unstrapped) fitting about 10 feet away from any accessible access point. Even if a plumber were to replace the faulty unit with a new one, how would he prevent the twisting action of removing the current unit from damaging the unsupported copper pipe? The junction is not a tee fitting. It is about six inches of copper pipe with several 90 degree elbows in it. If the junction point had been supported somehow, it would be a simple matter of removing the faulty silcock and screwing in a new one. The only way I can see to adequately support or hold back on the piece of pipe would be to remove the hot tub or cut a hole in the wall, both unacceptable. This installation does not lend itself to an easy repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Spakman View Post
            I've investigated my frost proof silcock installation. The unit screws into an unsupported (unstrapped) fitting about 10 feet away from any accessible access point. Even if a plumber were to replace the faulty unit with a new one, how would he prevent the twisting action of removing the current unit from damaging the unsupported copper pipe? The junction is not a tee fitting. It is about six inches of copper pipe with several 90 degree elbows in it. If the junction point had been supported somehow, it would be a simple matter of removing the faulty silcock and screwing in a new one. The only way I can see to adequately support or hold back on the piece of pipe would be to remove the hot tub or cut a hole in the wall, both unacceptable. This installation does not lend itself to an easy repair.
            Thats a secret

Comment

About one in three frostproof hosebibbs aren't strapped, in my experience. Another third, not strapped very well. And 95% of the time, the installer didn't take adequate measures to keep the mortar off of it, so you have to get out the hammer drill. About half the time, the flange is submerged in the brick. If it's brick veneer, I remove three or four bricks. Stucco or wood, would probably cut out wall inside house. ABP I think is Arrowhead. Can rob a stem from a new Arrowhead--but typically, seat is bad and need whole new hosebibb.

Comment

Working...
              X