X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rigid Sewage Pump Question

i have just purchased and installed a new Rigid sewage pump in my septic tank. The model number is SSEP500. my concern is that the pump is cycling on and off too frequently. the pump seems to be pumping fine and the amp draw is good, but it runs for about 30 seconds and turns off, and then comes right back on. is this normal. thank you.

Re: New Rigid Sewage Pump Question

I am having the exact same problem with my pump. It is the newer style pump with the "sewage sensor" instead of the float switch. It is cycling on for 10 seconds and off for 1, then back on. It does this when the sump is empty for about 15 minutes (probably 50-100 cycles) before it stops.

If you find a solution or any info, please pass it along.

I suspect that the new "sewage sensor", is to blame.

Comment

there is probably some TP stuck to the sensor. try spraying it off with a hose and see if that helps.

Comment

Same problem here too. I'm definitely not glad I chose the "maintenance and trouble free pump" from the sales associate instead of the cheaper one that hasn't been discontinued.

Comment

Stephen411:

Yep those sewage sensors really suck. I complained a few times to Ridged customer support and they sent me a cheap float and I changed it to that, no problems in over a year. Customer support basically told me that the sewage sensor is maintenance free and it must be something that I am doing but it seems like it is a very common problem with the sensor. I've talked to people who work for large waste water treatment facilities and they say sewage sensors are great....when you have a very large sump where the solids sink and the sensor is high up and away from debris, otherwise debris really causes problems. I think Ridged should have thought a little harder when they designed this set up.

Comment

maybe just maybe.... your pump wasnt designed to work in the sump you chose? I am not standing up for ridgid here in any way and I have heard a lot of bad things about their pumps. But at the same time alot of people are really expecting too much from things, when you went out and bought your pump did you size it for flow, total dynamic head, idle time, duty cycle etc.? Did you install the weep hole in your discharge line like you are supposed to?

If you dont know what these things are then maybe you shouldnt have bought the pump to start with.

Comment

The sensor just is a bad idea for this application...in my opinion

Wrench Spinner,

I understand your questioning but I do believe it was designed to work with the sump basin I used, flow rates etc. It was recommended by HD.

Not too sure what dynamic head is though. Is it the distance from the pump to the outlet? If so, is about 4 feet though 2" pipe (2" pipe was spec'd). The pump sensor is supposed to face away from the inlet as spec'd in the installation. Yes I put the weep hole in as spec'd s well. Also put the check valve on a 45 degree angle as spec'd (dont know why though...any ideas why they say to do this?) The pump receives average use, it's in our basement apartment bathroom, used by one person daily. Pretty standard useage as far as the manual recommended and as HD recommended. I am also a tradesperson and not completely useless when it comes to home improvements, though I am not a plumber by trade I have done my fair share of it.

I am not complaining about the sewage pump, just the sensor and the fact that it really was a pain until I took the sensor off and replaced with a float. The pump has a great warrantee and that's good enough for me as long as I don't have to climb in for maitenance often.

Here's what the pump did. Every few days it would cycle on and off for about 10 mins to 45 minutes. On for about 10 seconds off for 1 then repeat. It would even do it at night. The bathroom is right below where I sleep. It probably bothered me so much because it would wake me up humming on and off if the sump basin became full from someone running the water before bedtime. Every time I was able to get into the apartment (I had to get permission) I had to either open the sump pit and clean the sensor....not fun. Or fill the bathtub and quickly pull the plug and hope the rushing water would clean the sensor.

Due to the noise at night and restricted access to the pump, it drove me nearly insane several nights a week and ridged customer support was very unhelpful and used any excuse to point the finger at me, improper installation, etc. They finally told me that they had problems with the sensors "periodically" and I should relocate the sewage sensor to the top of the sump basin and make a new mounting bracket for it. I think I should also point out that I think I got this when it first became available on the market and they probalby had very little real world testing of their new sewage sensor.

But now that I don't use the sensor, I've had none of these problems. I do realize that floats can get stuck, but I haven't, luckily, had that happen as of yet and now I can get to sleep at night.

Seems to me that in my case, the sensor did not do what Home Depot and Ridged said it would.

If anyone is going to purchase one of these pumps for use in a sump basin where there will be toilet paper or solids; I recommend either raising up the sewage sensor as ridged customer support suggested and hoping the debris sinks before it can get stuck on the sensor or going to a float.

I'd do this before you run into problems and the basin gets used...it's a much cleaner job.

Comment

Biggest problem i notice is Home Depot.... I have yet to meet someone that works at Home Depot that has a clue. They are all self proclaimed experts and most of them dont know a grinder pump from an effluent pump.

I see no where on the specs for any of these pumps, a listing as a grinder pump or a pump that is capable of passing any kind of solid.

I think its time that Ridgid takes a peek at home depot destroying their reputation, and does something about it.

Comment

Wrench Spinner.

Thanks for your insight but I think you are failing to see that the pump, no matter the type is not the problem. The sensor keeps the pump running as it does not function as advertised on the box by Ridged. The pump itself has never given me a problem. It did say in the lit with this pump that it passes solids (and required 2" outlet pipe to do so.)

Comment

This seems to be a common problem!! wish i had known this before purchasing this pump for downstairs bathroom. Installed as per Ridgid instructions, worked fine for a couple of months then it started cycling after draining the sump. tried the bath tub trick for awhile now that doesnt work anymore. I first thought that much TP was being put down and causeing a problem. Not the case. I have decided to let it run til it stops itself, not pulling it apart again to clean sensor that appears to be defective. When it kills itself i will replace it with somethng other then rigid!! I do alot of pipe fitting and threading, so i had full confidence in the ridgid name when i bought this not so cheap pump. So much for that thought! One option i considered for the intrim was a manual switch that could be easily turned on/off when bathroom is used. ( tie it in with fan)

Comment

Working...
                    X