X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minimum soffit height?

I'm attempting to plan out a new bathroom, and in doing so noticed that my 3" main drain line is pitched a total of 2" in 21' including one 90 degree turn. I always thought this would be too little of a pitch, but we've never had an issue and of course you never notice a problem 'till you start looking for it.

My immediate reaction was the pitch should be adjusted if and when I replace the 3" with 4" to support the xtra bathroom we're planning, but it runs through a soffit in the middle of the room that's bottoms only 78" from the floor. That's a no-no too right? I always thought it was 6' 6" but definately not 74", which is what I would need to adjust the pitch past this soffit.

Any thoughts?

Re: minimum soffit height?

How tall is a typical doorway?

Comment

6'8" is the norm on a doorway.
      How far out from the vertical wall will the soffit be? Could you just build an extra thick wall? Or wrap the pipe around the walls?

Comment

I've seen 78" doors, 6' 6" and I'm sure that's the minimum which is why I bet there isn't enough slope right now. If I was going to wrap the walls (may not be an option because of a doorway in the basement)

What's the maximum number of degree bends for a 4" pipe before you need a clean-out? Sorry if this irks somebody but I run wiring conduit and that's how I think.

Comment

Originally posted by nhmatt View Post
          I've seen 78" doors, 6' 6" and I'm sure that's the minimum which is why I bet there isn't enough slope right now. If I was going to wrap the walls (may not be an option because of a doorway in the basement)

What's the maximum number of degree bends for a 4" pipe before you need a clean-out? Sorry if this irks somebody but I run wiring conduit and that's how I think.
          135*underground
          Because one has access through simple drywall it is not enforced out here in the framing.But I would think of the plumber trying to negotiate through the pipe with equipment.Besides just pop a cleanout through the soffit flush with drywall.

Comment

The question came up because I'm surveying an existing drain, and started to think it didn't have enough access points/cleanouts.

135*underground? does that mean untill I get underground, or only when I'm underground? If I have to make 4 90 degree bends do I need a clean-out at every 90 or just every other one?

Comment

for each change of direction greater than 45 degrees in a building drain you must provide a cleanout.

Comment

Standard door frame rough opening is 82"

Comment

Working...
                X