Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Shower Drain

Greetings;

We moved into our house several months ago and recently noticed our basement shower is leaking. We have identified where the leak is coming from. It seems that the drain pipe is butted up against the pipe that takes the water into the ground (It is like a butt joint). It seems they tried to seal this with the pvc joint glue but I can feel it has failed. How do I fix this? I have an acrylic shower. Would I have to dismantle the shower. Is there a way to fix it without ripping out the shower??

Re: Leaky Shower Drain

Take a digital pic an post it. You'll get better answers.

J.C.

Comment

So the drain from the shower is butting against the pipe that take water in to the ground. Are they connected or are they just next to each other?
      What material is the pipe?
      Last edited by EasyEman; 02-16-2009, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Here is a photo of it.... It is a PVC plastic pipping. In the photo you can see the yellow pvc pipping glue that was used to seal the butt joint and in some sections you can feel the lack of glue when I put my finger down the hole.

I am new to home ownership and plumbing for that matter. You guys are a life saver.

Is there anything else I should look for that would help?
        Attached Files

Comment

Yea the pipe appears to be butting on top of the water that carries the water to the sewer. Held together with the PVC glue

Comment

So is the water coming out from under the shower on to the floor?

Comment

It looks like you'll need to get a plumber out there to tighten or replace the shower drain. Which may require pulling up the base unit.

Comment

There is a built up tile floor running through the bathroom but not under the shower stall. So I believe the water is pooling underneath the shower. Its not running onto the floor (yet), but it is evident through mold behind the shower in the other room. (Directly behind the shower is a laundry/utility room partially finished and water damage is evident. It also has that efflorescence (the white powdery stuff in coming up in the cement on the other side of the shower) which I am told is due to water in the cement coming up

Comment

I can't tell from the pic if that is a what I call a slip joint shower drain with a compression ring. If it is then there is a chance it can be corrected from above.

If it's a glued connection then the whole thing will probably have to be dismantled and redone.

J.C.

Comment

How can you tell if its a slip joint compression system?

Thanks so much for all your help. I think its time to call my father for his expertise.

Comment

The one I'm familiar with will have a rubber coupling around the last couple of inches of the pipe before entering the shower. Then there's a ring with slots in it that compresses the rubber piece to the pipe. The ring will be at the top of the pipe inside the drain. You should be able to see & touch it from above with the shower strainer removed.

J.C.

Comment

It's a photo finish boys.

JCP wins by a nose.With Double E a close second.I was on the edge of My Seat.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          It's a photo finish boys.

JCP wins by a nose.With Double E a close second.I was on the edge of My Seat.
                          E pulled his post.....

Newbies

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            E pulled his post.....

Newbies
                            Wonder why?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post