X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain detection-layout

I manage a 22 unit apartment building in San Diego California, built in 1952.

The ownership wants a drawing or a schematic on the location of the pipes in the ground.
    There are no blueprints to be found for the building, who in general would I contact
    to perform this type of task? I don't mean the name of the companies, if you know
    any that would be cool, but what type of tradesman would I contact?

thanks.

Re: Drain detection-layout

A LANDSURVEYOR FOR OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING, AND PROBABLY A MECHANICAL ENGINEER FOR THE INSIDE STUFF, mY SURVEYING EXPERIENCE IS LIMITED TO EXTERIOR WORK SO I MAY BE WRONG ABOUT THE INTERIOR STUFF

Comment

Wrench Spinner, thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by jaco View Post
        I manage a 22 unit apartment building in San Diego California, built in 1952.

The ownership wants a drawing or a schematic on the location of the pipes in the ground.
        There are no blueprints to be found for the building, who in general would I contact
        to perform this type of task? I don't mean the name of the companies, if you know
        any that would be cool, but what type of tradesman would I contact?

thanks.
        Any decent plumber should be able to do it for you. You may need a draftsman to assist if you want a clean drawing. However, when the owner see what it will cost to locate all of the under slab piping I guarantee he will decide it's not so important any more.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

believe it or not, i've had good success using water witch sticks.

i was able to locate underground pipes within 1 foot.

i don't know why it works, it just does.

Vince

Comment

Clairemont? PB? La Jolla?

Are you on a slab or cripple wall?

Underground pipe would include water supply, drains, and gas. You could call DigAlert and they should locate the gas, electric, and water. Drains are deeper, and you probably need a plumber with a locator beacon on the end of his camera. http://newtina.digalert.org/newtinwe...rgencyinfo.nas

Unless he is planning a major project, does he have a particular reason for wanting this?
            Last edited by lovetheUSA; 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Here in AZ we call the county planning dept they may have a record of what was done. Maybe you have a department similar to this.

Comment

a good plumber that does locating will be your most accurate way to find the lines.

fortunatly the gas is not in the slab.

once again is this a slab or raised foundation

slab wil be a little harder to accuratly locate all the water lines. waste is much easier with cameras and locators.

too bad, i was in san diego over the weekend

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X