X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Pipe Cutting Problem

I'm a do-it-your-selfer who maybe does a couple of plumbing projects a year. I have one of the C-clamp type copper tubing cutters. Lately it seems to walk off of my mark as I am cutting a pipe. It sort of creates a spiral as it moves down the pipe instead of cutting deeper with each turn in one groove. Am I doing something wrong or is the cutter getting worn out?

Thanks for any reply.

Re: Copper Pipe Cutting Problem

I'm going to predict ( I hate "assume") that your cutter is like the other 99% I have ever seen. Yeh, sort of C-clamp with a threaded rod you can screw down on the cutting wheel to create pressure with the cutting wheel on the copper tubing, either soft or rigid. Now, the 1 st. thought would be-is your cutter wheel worn out? It should be somewhat sharp, no so much like a knife. Could the axle of your cutter be worn out, causing the wheel to lean which would cause it to drift one way or the other. Or, let's face it-is your cutter a "low-cost" version that has done it's intended two cuts or so. As with all tools you get what you pay for and I do understand you are a DIY, that's fine, you're asking for advice and so many don't. THEN, we get the calls. Check your cutter carefully first, sir. I'll bet it's the problem and not the operator. Thanks, David

Comment

Brand??At any rate,I would spend the dough on a nice new proper tubing cutter.
      Tools are good!
      More=better

Comment

Don't use your copper tubing cutter to cut galvanized pipe.

Comment

i rarely have any problems with my RIDGIDtm() cutters.

when i do it's because of missuse.

take it apart and clean it up. then look for shiny parts. shiny means worn or wearing.

if it's made in china, buy a north american product.

as a matter of fact, how 'bout something like this;

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=210628

Vince

don't forget to ream.

Comment

If you have to use it turn it 360+ and then turn it back, instead of around and around, even one that spirals one can easily get copper cut fairly well using it that way,
            some times if you start with extremely light pressure and get a mark clear around the tube, and then slowly add some pressure it may follow the cut, and not spiral,

(many of the cheap units will spiral right out of the box, or in a very short time),
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The Ridgid model # 10, 15, and 20 cutters rarely do that however the 151 type( quick release) always did. Don't waste your time with them, just get a #10 if u only plan on doing up to 3/4" copper.

Comment

as mentioned earlier, use a good quality cutter, make sure everything is in working order( nothing broke or bent) from there you want to lightly snug up on the adjustment knob and then "drag" the wheel DO NOT "push" the cutter wheel as this will almost always result in a wheel that wants to dive off its cutting path

Comment

One of two things:

1) Its not a Ridgid tubing cutter, and I am not just saying that cause its Ridgid forum, There is just no other in this ENTIRE industry that even comes close to Ridgid Tubing cutters

2) Your tightening the wheel to much as you start off,

Hope this helps
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                    One of two things:

1) Its not a Ridgid tubing cutter, and I am not just saying that cause its Ridgid forum, There is just no other in this ENTIRE industry that even comes close to Ridgid Tubing cutters
                    RIDGID cutters are good but there are others that work just as well.
                    I have a couple Imperial/Eastman cutters that I like too. But for
                    copper >1-1/2" I prefer the RIDGID cutters.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      I respectfully disagree, There is nothing that will hold up better then ridgid, I am bi polar , and when I say Bi Polar, I mean a maniac like myself, I cut pipe faster then most and thats ok, I would also crash for a week , but when I get those "mania" cycles,........sorry........Only Ridgid can keep up

Sorry ....hands down, I bet you anything that no other cutter will take my abuse.......sorry........nope......
                      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

have some other brands at the Round up.....I will prove it

Comment

I don't have any RIDGID, but the supply house near me sold me a Lenox close quarter one (they had no RIDGID, I asked), which is great compared to the cheap one that I borrowed from my dad. My favorite feature is that it has a guard around the wheel, so it is harder to cut your hand. The other thing they had aside from the Lenox was a General Autocut, which they said was really great if you only needed it for one size.

Comment

Fast does not always mean good.

Time, Cost, or Quality

Pick any two but you can't have all three.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Fast does not always mean good.

Time, Cost, or Quality

Pick any two but you can't have all three.
                              Not all the time your right, you never can have all 3 100% of the time

Comment

Working...
                              X