X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing requirements

Let's make this short. I served thirty-six years (10+26) with two companies in Industrial Maintenance. My formal education started out as a machinist and went other ways, I took every opportunity to take classes offered. We were not classified so we did it all. During these years I spent many hours working on plumbing problems, most because the other guys did not like that work, and working with real plumbers when I had to call them in so I could learn. Now, I am retired (Thank You Lord) and have my own business as a "Household Handyman", I'm not a millionaire yet, but it's really fun. I applied to take the Georgia State Plumbers Journeyman's Test, it's the lowest rated test they offer. Why? Because I want the License, it's not required for me, I just want it. I got a letter back asking me to confirm my "at least four years" of field experience under a Master Plumber with License. I don't have this, never was required of me. We operated within Plant Maintenance without these License in different fields, it was not required within our City or County, I asked many times. Any suggestions please? Thanks, David

Re: Licensing requirements

I would imagine that there must be somebody at the state level who could square you up on this.You may be S.O.L. with this if they are rigid (Hahaaa!pun on this site) in their requirements.
    I am Eligible for the masters test here but it really dosen't do me favors now but cost some extra $$ to carry it. The other side of that nickle is most of the code book is still fresh in my noggin.
    Let us all know how you end up.

Comment

Go do 4 years under a master. Plant maintainance is a valuable experiance but a plumbing license requires experiance in many other areas pf plumbing.
      sigpic

Comment

Here's my situation, I just turned 60 years old, I'm retired from those regular "go to work everyday" jobs and have started my own, legally licensed, business. Serving four years under a Master Plumber at this time is maybe not in my interest. The Licensed Plumber I called in when I had Plant Utilities where I worked has told me I could probably pass the test with what he knows, that I know. I do "Household Handyman" type work, some of it is carpentry, some plumbing, and some electrical. I do not profess to be either a Licensed Plumber nor Licensed Electrician. I have checked extensively with the local code people in the five county area I work in as to what is legal for me to d, and by choice do not cross that line. IF I, determine that a job is over my head I will be the first to stand up and call in the proper Licensed expert. I'm just one of those people who have always wanted to go one more step. IF I take and pass the GA. Journeyman Plumbers test, does that make me a Plumber, NO! I do not plan to go out and bid jobs away from the established reputable Plumbing Companies in my area. I have other License's and Degrees hanging on a wall of my house, they just tell me that I went one step further to educate myself in a particular area. If I can convince the State of GA. to allow me to take this test, I will share this and the outcome with you. Thanks, David

Comment

I do not know of any way other than a previous employer.

The only other way I know of is for one to lie.

Comment

Take the chance to learn more,dive into the code book,talk,ask,dive in and give er!
            One of 2 things will happen, but, you will be farther ahead in your plumbing knowledge and better for it, no matter the outcome.
            Good luck!

Comment

SORRY THURMAN
              Plumbing license test aren't about "how do you repair a leak on such and such" or how do you clear a mainline or repair a boiler. Its all about sizing DWV, water piping, roof drains and gas. then you have a bunch of questions about "how high should a hose bib be off the floor for a bed pan washer in a hospital" and what is the maximum distance for a trap arm on an indirect waste line" or this was on the CO master test, "what size trap should and 1.5" floor drain be". Thurman you might find out if your county or municipality offers a handyman license. The Tests for pluming are all basically the same, Residential, Journeyman and master licensing tests are all the same test and usually the master test has additional questions on it. But if you can get it to take it good luck. Go to a test prep class if you can find one. Maybe there is one online
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Does it have to be full time employment under a master or is there a certain number of hours. Maybe hook up with a plumber who needs a helping hand a few days week. For the time period. Otherwise Georgia is saying you are not a qualified plumber. You say you are not a plumber. Why would they give you a license to Plumb?
                I still have two years before I can test in Arizona.

Comment

The thing is Thurman is that I'm willing to guess that you want to list small plumbing repairs as one of your services. If you do that people will ask if you are a licensed plumber & everything that goes along with it.

Either get the licenses to do the work you want to list or don't. It's that simple. The state you're in will determine what you need to do to get these licenses.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X