Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Calculating the bending angle of a plate in a pipe.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating the bending angle of a plate in a pipe.

Hello, I have a pvc pipe the is 3in in diameter (3.25in) including the thickness. The inner circumference is 9.42in, and the outer is 10.99 in.

The pipe will enclose very hot liquids. I want to plate the inside of the pipe with copper plates. Since I do not want to bend the plates with my fingers(so that I can avoid many small dents) I will use a machine to bend the to the correct angle.

How to I calculate the angle of inside the circle (not the angle of the arc or central angle) so that the machine will bend it so that the plates will fit to the inside of the pipe smoothly?

To summarize, I want the calculate the angle of the inside of the circle so that I can put the plates in the machine, that will bend them to the point where the plates can be placed on the surface of the inside of the circle smoothly.
    Thanks.

Re: Calculating the bending angle of a plate in a pipe.

why don't you just replace the PVC with copper?

if you absolutely need to bend or shape the copper, a roller will work.

Vince

Comment

Pi x the inside diameter of the circle will give you the inner circumferance and then you cut the copper to that dimension and bend the circle till the two ends meet.
      sigpic

Comment

either use copper or cast iron, copper has a smaller outside diameter, cast iron has relatively the same as the pvc? more info will be able to help us more, why for what... that kind of thing

Comment

PVC is not usable for even "warm" water, much less "very hot". Just what are you doing? I don't understand "plating" the inside of the PVC, but it will not insulate it from the high temp.

Comment

and if you need a special angle on PVC one can jsut heat it and bend it, electricians do it all the time.

but as far as what your trying to do I really do not under stand either,

if you want a template of joining two pipes here is a on line calculator, and one can print the template out , http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
              OK, wrenchspinner, this one is for you.

BTW, macb, what the hell are you building?
              it must be some thing to fix the matter antimatter generators,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

They don't make copper plated pvc. Use copper pipe then insulate the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Pi x the inside diameter of the circle will give you the inner circumferance and then you cut the copper to that dimension and bend the circle till the two ends meet.
                  Ok thanks, that does make sense, I can just buy some copper rolls. But is there an equation that can be used to find the angle of a circle in the cases where the copper cannot be bent?

Comment

i'm not following.

could you explain in a little more detail?

Vince

Comment

I don't understand enough about your project. Lining the pipe isn't going to protect the PVC from the temperature - the copper will be at almost the same temperature as the liquid flowing inside it. Besides, anything you fabricate will have to be welded up and pressure tested. Next, what do you do at the ends? Then there's safety to consider of course. You would be, in effect, fabricating not just a duct, but an entire piping system... and honestly I can't imagine that you would want to undertake that when proper pipe, fittings, etc. are available for about any liquid/application imaginable and can just be purchased. Maybe you should post a print or sketch... I'm sure you must have something in mind but it's hard to comment without understanding a lot more.

What's the liquid? What pressures are involved? Stainless pipe is often the material choice for process applications involving chemicals and/or high temp. I can't imagine PVC having any role in a system involving high temp liquids, but then again, that could be based on not enough info.

Comment

Maybe he's a terrorist building a doom's day device
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Maybe he's a terrorist building a doom's day device
                          With Cobalt-Thorium-G?

Comment

poop and firecrackers.

Vince

Comment

. But is there an equation that can be used to find the angle of a circle...
                              The angle of a circle. What is that?

Are you asking for a formula to calculate the length of an arc?

0.01745 x angle in Deg. x Radius

0.01745 x 45° x 2" = 1.5705"

Circumference = Pi * R^2
                              3.14159 * 4 = 12.56637"

12.5663/8 = 1.570785"

1.5705" ~ 1.570785"

So if you wanted to make a lining for a cylinder with an
                              ID of 4" and make it in 8 45° sections 1.5707" would be
                              the length of each segment.

1st year apprentice math.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X