X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewer Line and Tree Roots

Does roto rooter guarantee their work? If so Have them come back and cut the roots. If they guarantee the work then hold them to it, or get your money back.
    Then get the camera in there to see if there is something that needs to be repaired.
    The tree is gone so the roots will stop growing in there no need to dig without seeing the pipe.

Comment

How big a hole under the footing are we talking here? A typical concrete footing in northern NJ is 18in or more across and at least 12in thick with #4 or larger rebar in it. Unless you dig under a support column or remove the earth under several feet of the footing, it should span the hole without a problem.

Not being a plumber, or a big fan of digging, I like Rick's idea best - something about waging chemical warfare against roots appeals to me .

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        That's what I'm talking about.
        Right on Que Jake.

How's Chris doing these days,Tell him we said Hi.
        I'm serious, we'll do it but I haven't seen a PM and we are leaving at 7am tomorrow. Oh well!

Chris is good! He is a proud new daddy of a beautiful baby girl.

I've been working his tail off lately so we can have a good time at the pumper show. He turned in 72 hours today.

I'm gonna make him buy drinks now down there.
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Sure like to know what the outcome of this was? I have done a lot of reading on the Fernco Pipe Patch and think it would have been a great choice for this job. I actually think the pipe patch from fernco is a great product and am going to start using it myself. I think it's a easy sell in these economic times.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            Roots in PVC sounds a bit fishy, but possible to me.
            Originally posted by Gregthedummy View Post
            I watched them camera the line so it is honestly a tree root problem and yes I know everyone I talk to about these keeps telling me that to have tree roots in PVC is rare..

I have large tree just on outside of foundation wall only about 6 ft away from house and the landscaping is sloped downhill... I have no idea why they put a tree so close to house... !!

.. and even after Roto Rooter cleaned the line 3 weeks ago and I cut tree down to stump about two weeks ago.. the line is still full of roots..
            i encounter this all the time. the roots either push up or push down the PVC causing it to crack or separating a poor glue joint, or pushing a rock into the pipe causing a void.

you can cut down a tree but in some cases the roots can continue to grow for to to 7 years. even if you poison the stump

another vote for RootX. it's cheaper than pipe replacement until the issue becomes a blockage from dirt, rocks etc. then a replacement is necessary. you have time to $ave for that day.

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

PipePatch! anyone in PA. who needs pipe patch im your guy!!!!!
              Eric Melvin
              CF Manufacturing
              CF Sales

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                i encounter this all the time. the roots either push up or push down the PVC causing it to crack or separating a poor glue joint, or pushing a rock into the pipe causing a void.

you can cut down a tree but in some cases the roots can continue to grow for to to 7 years. even if you poison the stump

another vote for RootX. it's cheaper than pipe replacement until the issue becomes a blockage from dirt, rocks etc. then a replacement is necessary. you have time to $ave for that day.

steve
                Not doubting you Steve just wondering what the consensus is among everyone here in regards to root growth after cutting down the offending tree??

wookie

Comment

proven biological fact.

some trees/roots are more insidious than others

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    here is your problem

how long have you lived there? when was this cleanout installed?

the problem dates back to the person who installed that cleanout in the first place. when you say 2' from both sides of cleanout, i say the joints they cut in to connect to the existing line.

know that you have a track record of where the roots are. you can address them with a foaming root killer. the 2' downstream roots can easily be addressed via the c/o. the 2' upstream will probably foam up 2' in reverse, but no way to know unless you use plenty of root killer.

the time to foam them is immediately after cutting, or a minimum of 6 weeks after they were cut. then a minimum of 6 hours of non use.

you have nothing to lose but the cost of the do it yourself foam you can buy on ebay. "root-x" is the foam of choice.

this would be my choice as it's not been attempted yet and has a proven track record to kill roots.

rick.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to let out a little secret since you brought it up. As of January 1st, 2010 RootX is restricted for sale on any third party auction sites. A plumbing company can sell the product on their own company site. However sites restricted include companies such as Ebay, Amazon, yahoo, ect. There are numerous reasons why the owners and president of RootX has chosen to go this route and it would take pages to explain them.

Comment

proven biological fact.

some trees/roots are more insidious than others

steve
                      Sorry, didn't ask my question correctly. No doubt roots continue growing just wondering for how long?? Type of tree makes a difference I'm sure.

wookie

Comment

Finally, someone brought up a topic I can sound intelligent about. Most tree roots can grow for several yrs. The determining factors depends on the species of tree, climate conditions, rain and other factors. A tree cut in Oregon in the valley would last 3-6 yrs on average because it's to wet here and the wood will decay faster.

It also depends on the "Living Stump" this happens when a tree is cut and the stump left is next to another tree. the stump can sustain itself for several years before it dies. The reason why roots can continue to grow is that trees don't have brains. They don't have a central system to tell them to stop doing what they where designed to do. There for it may take several yrs for the system to break down once the tree is cut.

If the stump creates small sprouts or cuttings also are called a "stool". This is a method that many forest services use for replenishing the forests this method is called coppicing. When this happens then the roots will continue to grow so you want kill any sprouts if you don't want that tree back and the roots to grow.

Comment

you said in a few words what would take me volumes to

here in the tropics the Tan Tan, Ginger Thomas, Ficus, Mahogany, Almond, Breadfruit, & Rubber trees are our biggest problem trees even though palms, hibiscus, bougainvilla, & Sea Grape can be almost as bad

steve

Comment

you said in a few words what would take me volumes to

here in the tropics the Tan Tan, Ginger Thomas, Ficus, Mahogany, Almond, Breadfruit, & Rubber trees are our biggest problem trees even though palms, hibiscus, bougainvilla, & Sea Grape can be almost as bad

steve

If you want to cut down some Mahogany and ship up here i will be gladly help you get rid of it. I will even pay for shipping.
                            Mahogany sells for more then gold here.

Comment

I'm considering Rootx instead of a $2,000 to $4,000 dig in my basement. Seems a lot less expensive to use Rootx a few times a year than jackhammering the floor. FYI, house built in 1962. One concern is: Don't the roots come in through gaps and/or holes in the pipe? If so, won't killing the roots leave openings through which raw sewage can escape? Thus, might it not be better to spend the money to get the new pipe rather than risk having my house smell like sewage?

Comment

your concerns are baseless. 3 people on ebay now. at $35.00 to $60.00 what you got to lose. if it doesn't work, well dig it man. breid..........

Comment

Working...
                                X