Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Line and Tree Roots

Hello,

I am not very good at things around the house and I have had my sewer line back up on me twice it was a MESS ! Both times had it cleaned out the RotoRooter guy pulled out some tree roots... I have had the line cameraed and they say I have tree rootes .. I have PVC pipe which every plumber tells me it is extremely rare to have tree rootes in PVC pipe but my luck I do ...

Here is my issue... I have clean out in my garage approx five inches out from my concerete wall. The camera shows that I have roots about two feet on either side of my clean out.. which puts the one side on the "outside of my foundation wall and the other puts it about two feet inside my foundation wall. I have had a cherry tree that was sitting about 6 feet from house on the outside taken out... one plumber wants to dig straight down side of my house and see what is going on then if he needs to get to the "inside" he will tunnel under my house footer and reach up and under to get to it.. I have two other plumbers tell me that is not the way to go they suggest jack hammering up my garage floor to get to it that way they advise against going under the footer ? I am thinking since they would only need to dig a three or four foot wide hole to reach under the footer that should not be big deal ? I would appreciate anyone giving me some feedback on best way to repair this... it seems to me jack hammering my floor right next to my house footer would be more dangerous to the integrity of my foundation .. what do u think ?

Re: Sewer Line and Tree Roots

Do you have post tension cables in you slab? If so jack hammering or cutting will void your warranty. How old is the house? Is the footer thick? What is the house made of?

I think starting outside is the better solution as long as it is only two feet either way.

Comment

here is your problem

how long have you lived there? when was this cleanout installed?

the problem dates back to the person who installed that cleanout in the first place. when you say 2' from both sides of cleanout, i say the joints they cut in to connect to the existing line.

know that you have a track record of where the roots are. you can address them with a foaming root killer. the 2' downstream roots can easily be addressed via the c/o. the 2' upstream will probably foam up 2' in reverse, but no way to know unless you use plenty of root killer.

the time to foam them is immediately after cutting, or a minimum of 6 weeks after they were cut. then a minimum of 6 hours of non use.

you have nothing to lose but the cost of the do it yourself foam you can buy on ebay. "root-x" is the foam of choice.

this would be my choice as it's not been attempted yet and has a proven track record to kill roots.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Based on the information you've given I would dig from the outside,if it is truely needed.

You are wise to be sceptical.
        I've seen a lot of very convincing plumbers screw up or intentionally cost homeowners unneccessary large amounts of money.

This may be a good candidate for a pipe lining at the location under the house accessed from the outside.
        Depends on how resonable the lining contractor "Wants" to be.

Comment

Did you actually watch them camera the line, or did they provide a complete video of the inspection, or are you just going off what they said they saw?

Roots in PVC sounds a bit fishy, but possible to me.
          Do you have Cast Iron inside the home, and at some point outside it changes over to PVC, or is it all PVC?

I agree with Dirtyhands, if everything is as you say, it sounds like a reline or Fernco Pipe Patch would be a better option.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I watched them camera the liine so it is honestly a tree root problem and yes I know everyone I talk to about these keeps telling me that to have tree roots in PVC is rare.. the plumber who cameraed the line really did not want to do it he was convinced I did NOT have tree roots and tried to talk me out of it, but I wanted piece of mine to know and as my luck goes .. bad.. I have them !!!

I have no idea whether my footer has post tension cables how would I know this ? I think my plumber is est that my footer is about 18 inches.

House built in 1990 in Lexington Kentucky. I have lived in it since 1998 I had this same line cleaned out in 2006 same exact location was the problem. I have large tree just on outside of foundation wall only about 6 ft away from house and the landscaping is sloped downhill... I have no idea why they put a tree so close to house... !!

Thks for all the feedback ! I am really leaning towards starting from outside I am about 90% sure that is what I am going to I got to thinking you know if they jack hammer up my garage floor "then" decide they need to dig.. my floor is already tore up .. so I think the best option is outside then if worse comes to worse then take up the floor... the weird thing about these roots is my sewer line runs perpendicular to the house foundation and the clean out sits about 2 foot to the inside of the wall I bought myself one of those snake cameras Milwaukee makes neat tool.. and even after Roto Rooter cleaned the line 3 weeks ago and I cut tree down to stump about two weeks ago.. the line is still full of roots I don't think Roto Rooter did very good job cleaning the line.. but back to the weird thing... when you open the clean out up and look down it you see no roots but if you go 1 ft either direction you will see bunch of them I guess it is coming in around the connections from to the clean out "T".

My wife has theory we had termites about 4 years ago and they guy you put chemicals down side of foundation of house did so with some type of pressurized gun.. the termites were in the same area I am having problems she thinks he may have somehow cracked the PVC pipe when he injected the chemicals ? He did tell me he put some "extra chemical" in the problem area the guy is Christian and was trying to do good so even if this did cause problem i am not upset with him .. but it is interesting it is in the same area...

Comment

before you spend a lot more money, spend $30 and put in 2# of root-x. have nothing to lose but $30.

we use it with good success

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gregthedummy View Post
                My wife has theory we had termites about 4 years ago and they guy you put chemicals down side of foundation of house did so with some type of pressurized gun.. the termites were in the same area I am having problems she thinks he may have somehow cracked the PVC pipe when he injected the chemicals ? He did tell me he put some "extra chemical" in the problem area the guy is Christian and was trying to do good so even if this did cause problem i am not upset with him .. but it is interesting it is in the same area...
                How deep do they go with those probes, and arent they only a probe that gets pushed down? If it is an auger that goes down 30" or so it is definitley a possibility!

Comment

I agree with rick on this one do the chemical root treatement first before you start tearing a bunch of stuff up.
                  Mike
                  Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                  www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Does roto rooter guarantee their work? If so Have them come back and cut the roots. Then use Plumber Ricks root X then get the camera in there to see if there is something that needs to be repaired. The tree is gone so the roots will stop growing in there no need to dig without seeing the pipe.

Comment

I will be going to the Cleaner Show in Louisville on Wednesday. I will bring the pipe patch equipment along and swing by on the way out of town.

We can patch right over the root intrusions and case closed.
                      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                        I will be going to the Cleaner Show in Louisville on Wednesday. I will bring the pipe patch equipment along and swing by on the way out of town.

We can patch right over the root intrusions and case closed.
                        That's what I'm talking about.
                        Right on Que Jake.

How's Chris doing these days,Tell him we said Hi.

Comment

Roto Rooter here is a joke.. they charged me $267 and it hasn't been two weeks and I bought one of those snake cameras (small ones only three feet but that is all I need cause my problem is just inside the clean out) and there are still bunches of roots...

I called talked to some house foundation repair places asked them what they recommended.. they said by all means to jake hammer not dig around the footer which shocked me !!! they said as long as the concrete floor is "cut" first then to jack hammer enough to break it up and pick it up in maybe a 3ft by 3ft square would be less of threat then digging under the footer... I called 3 places and all three told me the same thing.. they also said to wait til the temp got up above 50 degrees so I could be sure the concrete patch would cure correctly ! what you guys think now ??? I am really in pickle on this I hate making decisions like this !!! kinda d if you do and d if you dont' ... .oh well that is life I guess !

By the way to dig it up cost bid is $1875 and to cut and jack hammer it is $1130.. this also suprised me I thought the jack hammer job would cost more...

Comment

PM JRSALTZ tonite, schedule him for wednesday and sleep at night. Fernco pipe patch it!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                              PM JRSALTZ tonite, schedule him for wednesday and sleep at night. Fernco pipe patch it!
                              I agree.

The last thing I would want is a concrete patch to look at in my home.

If you want to snake,video and immediately root-x and hope they never come back is a cheap route.Hopefully you're wife doesn't ever hit you up for shrubbery in the front of the house let alone anyone ever putting in a tree within 50'or more.

On the other hand,
                              You could dig a simple hole outside the house,look up the pipe at the roots,cut the roots,evaluate if the pipe needs replacement,if not,sleeve it.And if worse case then cut your beautiful garage floor.
                              And there you go no more doubt or questions.

Yes,as far as the liability factor of someone digging under a footing and your house cracking in half.All I can say is I wish this world wasn't so quick to file a lawsuit or someone could easily dig under your footing
                              and recompact as to not lessen the integrity of your foundation.Ask them what they think about backfilling under the footing with "SLURRY".

Please keep us up to speed on this I would Very Much like to know how a PVC system loses enough integrity to let roots in.

Comment

Working...
                              X