New toilet doesn't fit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toilet doesn't fit

I put a new floor in an older house and not knowing I should measure the distance of the hole from wall I bought a toilet that didn't fit,not enough distance from the wall.How do I connest to the existing pipe under the house if I move the hole by 2 in.The hole is now 10 in from the wall and I understand the standard is 12 in.There is cast iron pipe under the house adapted to pvc thru the floor,pvc is about 1 ft in length,but I'll be able to make it longer by cutting the cast iron if I need to.Don't know how to cut cast iron other than with a hack saw.

Re: New toilet doesn't fit

If I read this right ( sometimes I read to fast)

But anyway, its sounds like your describing a 10" rough toilet when you have purchased a standard 12" rough toilet ( which is normal)

The make something called a "10" rough toilet" (smaller tank) and I think that would be the easiest way for you Vs, trying to replumb the flange........

And PS you're not going to cut a cast iron line with a hack saw, even a sawzall with a carbide tip takes forever...

You would need a "snap cutter" or a scissor cutter.

Your best bet is to see if the toilet you have comes in a "10' rough" ...

Snap cutter:

Comment

You read right and I thank you for the quick reply.The toilet I bought is the 12in standard and also a higher 17in seat so I was hoping I could use it as the 10in with higher seat is much harder to find.

thanks,

Dave

Comment

Kohler makes a 10" rough-in comfort heigth toilet, but be ready to pay some $$$ for it. That is what I would do.

Comment

Thanks,
          I was hoping there was something like an offset flange that I could use.I'll look into this Kohler.
          Thanks,
          Dave

Comment

Stay away from offset closet flanges as much as possible. They clog up more often and the wax rings blow out more easily. Just a problem waiting to happen most of the time.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,I'll heed you warning.I asked for advise and got it and I will listen to it.A different toilet is the answer.

Thank you,both of you,

Dave

Comment

No problem, let us know if you need anything else and have a wonderful upcoming week.

Comment

see what "toto" has to offer in a uni-fit design. the toilet is the same, but the unifit bolt in waste will allow for the 10'' ruff. the cost is approx. $60 more, but you get the best toilet they make in a 10, 12, 14''.

look for the toilets that have the uni-fit flange on their website

www.totousa.com

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

before you consider the uni-fit take a good look at the spec sheet, you may have to move your water inlet supply. I am not a fan of some of TOTO's models as the bowls are made in a way that only a gorilla can install due to the fact that they are wider at the base and narrower at the seat location. See if Gerber has a pressure assist model in 10" that is also higher.

Comment

Thanks to all of guys,a 10" rough is the way to go.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X