Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of copper or ABS... or...

Hey all...

First thing first... why is it that a shower needs a 2" waste pipe and a tub just a 1.5" pipe?

Now to the real question... we all know that cast iron waste pipe is the most silent solution... ABS is noisy, water reverberating inside the pipe and making you wish you'd never use it... and... then... there is the copper waste pipe...

i remember on my old tub there was a 1.5" copper waste pipe... and as far as i can tell... it was not that noisy... is there any reason why not use copper?

thanks all!

Re: Of copper or ABS... or...

Copper is more expensive and labor intensive.

A shower has a smaller amount of water it can hold so it can overflow quicker do to a smaller clogged drain.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      Copper is more expensive and labor intensive.
      Does it have any advantages compared to plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        Non combustable,easier than cast-iron in some cases.

Comment

Copper DWV is sometimes used in high rise buildings because it can be prefabricated on the ground and the waste and vent trees are light enough to carry up through the construction elevator the the bathrooms, especially in typical installations where you may have 50 of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            can handle the high temperatures of a commercial kitchen!

Comment

copper is also good for a tight space. fittings are a tighter pattern.

also copper can hold a much higher head pressure for testing multi stories

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

In so many words... either 3 is fine... well then in another forum someone stted that ABS could last 200-400 years... as opposed to cast iron which coult last less and copper even lesser... but then again i read that copper pipes were found in ancient rome...

so now if we value longevity... which would last longer? miond... i wish i could be around in 400 years... i plan not!

cheers!

Comment

i agree w wrench spinner that copper and cast will handle the higher temp where as abs will warp over time and also copper and cast iron have a lower thermal expansion rate so u wont get "creepage" in your walls. As far as i understand copper is hella pricey now but like rick said it does fit better in tight areas but u do have to solder it. Another lil tid bit is that cast iron and copper are good for sound but a big reason is that in the case of a fire the abs toxic fumes are lethal and fire wont burn through floors/walls with cast iron or copper
                  if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

You can use 1.5 for a shower but in below grade installations you (unofficially) need 2" for clean out purposes.

Comment

copper waste also has a very smooth bore with a reamed and properly installed copper waste system clogs are almost unheard of.. Where i work in san francisco c/i and copper dwv are required for waste in homes over two storys i tend to use it alot.The size of the fitting and o.d. of the tube makes it's use great for tight spaces and can pre fab installed in areas cast iron won't fit when your doing crazy custom homes it helps alot but it is still noisy....

Comment

Hey, you're not gonna let them put drywall over that work are you? Clear plexiglass only! Looks good.

Comment

NICE LOOKING WORK.
                          I don't see much copper DW in my area. When I do, I always take a minute to admire it. I've never seen anything like the pics you've posted, around here.

I don't know what it is about copper that appeals to me but sometimes it's almost like art.
                          Pex and PVC are almost like architectural rape.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Nice looking work.

You guys were asking how much to charge per fixture

I wouldn't want to have to look at the price of realestate in the neighborhood your puting this in.

They let you drill through that Paralamb in that span?

Nice working on jobs that have money in them.

Comment

Real art Plumbworker. I'd probably have the "East Coast Burn" all over the place.

Why are they insistent on enforcing DWV this way there?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X