Stopped sink drain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stopped sink drain

kitchen sinks without an outside cleanout is the worst. you need to have some water to help flush away the debris.

either a jetter or a larger cutter with a decent cable.

honestly if you have a good roof access. i would try again with the sink full of water and a helper telling you when the water starts to move or if you made it to the 3'' main. the kitchen sink is suppose to be on a 2'' horizontal line. 1.5'' into the wall san tee and 2'' from there to the main.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Notch,After removing the trap & drain arm,Insert your auger. Make sure cable is making the downward drop.(water will continue to drip from the drain as you add cable) .

Now auger until you reach the clog,and clear the drain(water will no longer drip from the drain,not even when you pull back).

Now be careful,lay down Plastic,old newspapers,towels,etc;retract your auger,don't sling black -------- all over the place.

Reconnect ,Clean up,Test the sink.Pat yourself on the back,Wash dishes.

Repost, let us know how you did it.
      Kenneth Collier
      Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
      Jackson, MS 39206
      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
      drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

If your auger is very small,bend the end appx.45 degrees.

This will give a erratic,off center,whipping effect to the cable,thus cleaning a larger area.
        Kenneth Collier
        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
        Jackson, MS 39206
        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks for the help. I just got it fixed. I dumped some boiling hot water in the drain last night and tried to feel the pipe to guess on where the clog may have been. I guessed fairly close. I cut into the pipe to find solid black sludge. Once open, a solid four foot section came out with all the water behind it. I snaked the other way, assembled and tested. I'm guessing the clog started at a pair of 90 degree elbows at the wall. Total clog of 7' or 8'. Thanks again.

BTW, I guess these store bought snakes just go right through the clog and then it just seals back up once pulled out.

Comment

Congrats,Now you are a drainman.The expert on your drain line.Are you going to be a plumber/sewer tech. now?
            Kenneth Collier
            Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
            Jackson, MS 39206
            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
            drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
              Congrats,Now you are a drainman.The expert on your drain line.Are you going to be a plumber/sewer tech. now?
              No thanks!

Comment

"Notch", this sounds so much like a problem I had two years ago. Do you have a dishwasher that uses the same drain as your sink? I ran the small 3/8" sized snake through the sink drain lines under the kitchen sink the length of the auger, say 20 ft. The I went under the house, found a 1 1/2" clean-out under there for the sink line and ran the auger through for the length of the auger. Fixed the problem, NOT! The sink would still back up and drain very slowly. I cut the PVC pipe in the run between the clean-out and where it tied into the 4" PVC for the whole house. Voila! I had maybe a 3/8" hole within this 1 1/2" PVC pipe. It had caked up with what seemed to be soap scum and fatty stuff. I bought an attachment for my pressure washer, cut the 1 1/2" near the 4" and really cleaned it out until it was 1 1/2" again the full run. Everything was reattached using Fernco couplings and more pipe strapping. I also have a dishwasher and was told (?) the dishwasher soap could have been most of the problem. Hope this helps someone. Thanks, David

Comment

Working...
                X