X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopped sink drain

Out of the blue our sink drain just stops, clogged solid. I first tried drain cleaner, no luck. Pulled the trap and ran a 50' auger. Came back with nothing on it. Did it again with the same results. Put it back together and still no water drainage at all. Went up on the roof and snaked the vent until it hit water. Still no drain. Got back in today and snaked it again with no results. 1 1/2 pvc that ties into a 3" wye from toilet. Toilet flushes fine. I am sure the snake made it to the wye. I was going to cut the pvc in the basement tomorrow and get a good look, but would rather not do that. Please help!!!

Re: Stopped sink drain

How far did you go after you hit water on the roof?

J.C.

Comment

BTW, it is the kitchen sink.

Not too sure on how far, it was very cold and windy last night! I can do it tomorrow and make sure that I am down far enough. Can a clogged vent completely stop water flow? This drain can sit for 12hrs and not drop any.

Comment

Are both sides of the sink stopped up or just one side?

Is your disposal, if you have one, working? Does the blade spin when you turn
        it on?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
          Are both sides of the sink stopped up or just one side?

Is your disposal, if you have one, working? Does the blade spin when you turn
          it on?
          Both sides are stopped up. Yes, disposal works.

Comment

This may seem obvious but I'll shoot anyway.

Did you look inside of the trap to make sure it's clear?

Also check the "T" fitting just above the p-trap too make sure food from the disposal isnt stuck in it.

Lenny

Comment

Sounds like you're not making it to the wye for some reason. Could have went up the vent through the pipe in the cabinet. You also may have 50' of cable & you may not. Is this your personal machine or a rental?

J.C.

Comment

If the toilet flushes fine then there is no need to run 50' of cable down there. Are you SURE that the 1-1/2 ties into the 3" wye for the toilet? I've been in quite a few houses with improper or NO venting...and the drains typically drain, however poorly. Sounds like either disposal issues or if you have a double sink then the waste tee might be clogged.

Comment

Does the 1 1/2 line tie in to the 3 inch above ground? In the wall? How far is it between the ptrap and the 3 inch?

Lenny

Comment

Trap is clean and so is the tee.

I will measure the actual pipe run from in the basement to see if it's less than 50'.

Comment

Originally posted by notch View Post
                      Trap is clean and so is the tee.

I will measure the actual pipe run from in the basement to see if it's less than 50'.
                      Pull the cable out and measure it too.

J.C.

Comment

May just be a thick blockage that needs to be run repeatedly.

Is the pipe sloping properly so the waste gravity flows downstream?

Try running the line again, If you are sure you are getting to the next largest line, 3 to 4 inch. Put your sink back together, turn on the water and allow both sides to fill up to the top. If you loosened the blockage enough the weight of the water in the vent may push the blockage out. With both sides full try plunging.

Hard to diagnose this without being there

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
                          If the toilet flushes fine then there is no need to run 50' of cable down there. Are you SURE that the 1-1/2 ties into the 3" wye for the toilet? I've been in quite a few houses with improper or NO venting...and the drains typically drain, however poorly. Sounds like either disposal issues or if you have a double sink then the waste tee might be clogged.
                          Yes, the 1 1/2" line runs right into the where the 3" toilet wye is. There is a vent right off the sink line, behind the counter wall up through the roof. Waste tee is definitely not clogged.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Pull the cable out and measure it too.

J.C.
                            Ok

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                              May just be a thick blockage that needs to be run repeatedly.

Is the pipe sloping properly so the waste gravity flows downstream?

Try running the line again, If you are sure you are getting to the next largest line, 3 to 4 inch. Put your sink back together, turn on the water and allow both sides to fill up to the top. If you loosened the blockage enough the weight of the water in the vent may push the blockage out. With both sides full try plunging.

Hard to diagnose this without being there
                              There is some slope. I will have to make sure that I am making it to the 3" line tomorrow. I did try plunging with both sinks full.

Comment

Working...
                              X