Toilet Elbow...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Elbow...

Confession time. I've never had to remove or repair the old type wall mount tank toilets with the elbow riser. I have a situation where one is leaking at the elbow and it MUST be repaired. (Some nut ran HVAC hard duct in all the space under the tank making a replacement impossible without a replumb.)

Any tips for removal & replacement?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Toilet Elbow...

Lamp wick and pro-dope

Comment

Once i get it apart,,if the spud on the com dosent come loose..
      I use 2" slip washers, and grease the nuts good and put it back together.
      ITs not to bad to deal with

Comment

If this is what I think it is, don't worry, sit facing the wall and put both of your knees under the tank after you have loosened the nut just below the flush valve. If it does not want to loosen then use a hack saw blade to cut the nut and split it with a screw driver. Your knees will support the tank in removal annd reassembly. You may have to replace the spud on the back of the bowl. Remember to take your time removing and reinstalling the spud. You may also have to cut off the retaining nut but over the years I have been pretty lucky just grabbing the whole thing and just gently spinning it out of the back of the bowl. My personal reassembly trick is to use a small amount of putty on the spud and with each slip joint nut and washer. (I never do this on any other tailpiece install) I make the putty look like a 4" worm that is about an 1/8 of inch in diameter. My last piece of advice is the most important, you must give the home owner pre warning that things may not go as planned on such an old toilet, with that said the pressure on you will be reduced and all will go well.

Comment

Thanks rookie. Very helpful.

J.C.

Comment

how much does one of those elbows cost?

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
              how much does one of those elbows cost?

Vince
              Depends on the size/height. But not much difference between them. They weren't that much at my local supplier but I can't remember the exact range of price.

Cheaper than a case of Coke in Nunavit though.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
              X