X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Double Sink Venting

I am in the midst of a bathroom remodel and will be converting a single bowl vanity to a double bowl. I'm wondering the best way to handle the drain and venting. The vanity I will be using has drawers in the middle so I can't connect the drains within/under the cabinent. There is no sheet rock on the walls, and this is in a second story. I have the sheetrock removed from the ceiling in the room below the bathroom so I also have access from below.

See attached picture for more detail.

Thank you.
    Attached Files

Re: Bathroom Double Sink Venting

A combo san tee will work.
    sigpic

Comment

On the second floor...A double wye will save you a lot of money later.

Comment

How far apart are the sinks going to be? Your trap arm can only be so long based on pipe size. (the length from trap under the lav to the vent)
        You'll have to drill the studs and run the pipes in the wall. You'll have to cut the copper and add a double wye. The water is straight forward just T the supplies you have and run the lines where you need.

Comment

The sinks will be about 2.5 feet apart. Pipe size is 1.5 inches on both the drain and vent. Is that within the limits for length of the trap arm?

Does the height of the double wye matter (other than it needing to be lower than the drain pipe so I have the correct slope)? In other words can I come off the main line with the double wye and then put a 90 elbow on to go up to the level where drain pipe will exit the wall?

Thanks for all the suggestions above.

Comment

ummmm where are you putting these basins? is that where your W/C used to site on the right side in the pic? if so where is it going. Your set up SHOULD look like this though:

Comment

Thanks for the picture. That really helps. Just spent some quality time at Lowes picking up the parts and I think I have everything I need now.

The back wall is about 63" so the double basin with a 60" vanity just fits. The toilet is moving just around the corner. Here is the layout before I started. The blue circle is where the toilet is going to be (the cabinent that is in the picture is now gone to make room for it).
              Attached Files

Comment

You have to be carefull using a vertical wye in the vertical position. If the trap arm is long enough and properly pitched it can create a siphon as it puts the trap weir above the inlet.
                sigpic

Comment

wouldn't the double y be considered an s trap?

Comment

Short answer no... the double wye is not an s trap. S trap has no or very little distance between the weir point and the drain pipe going down. Making an s shape. If you put the trap right up against the wye then it is a problem. You need at least double the pipe diameter distance between the weir point and the vent. So for 1.5 inch pipe you need 3 inches.
                    Last edited by EasyEman; 02-27-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

If that wall is a load bearing wall you need to make it a 6" wall. You can only cut or notch 40% of the stud on a bearing wall. You trap arm should not extend more than 3' 6".

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        ummmm where are you putting these basins? is that where your W/C used to site on the right side in the pic? if so where is it going. Your set up SHOULD look like this though:

But don't use a 90 until you are 6 inches above the flood level of the fixture.

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
                          But don't use a 90 until you are 6 inches above the flood level of the fixture.
                          long sweeps below the flood rim is allowed where that work was done... see the three windows above??? there where other structural reasons as well.. but yeah dont follow this install exactly i dont see any structural issues in your photo weaver.
                          Last edited by plumbworker; 02-27-2009, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                            long sweeps below the flood rim is allowed where that work was done... see the three windows above??? there where other structural reasons as well.. but yeah dont follow this install exactly i dont see any structural issues in your photo weaver.
                            I hope that you dont mind me using your picture to diagram, it was exquistite work and fit the situation very well I thought

Comment

and heres another way..

Comment

Working...
                              X