X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading trouble

I'm having trouble with hand threading with a new 1" die. The threader will cut about 2/3 of the initial thread, then break the thread off. Once this happens, I can't get the threader to grab on to the pipe at all. I'm using threading oil, and applying some pressure to get the threader to grab the pipe. I've read through several of the threading threads. It seems as if you could apply more pressure with an electric threader, but that's not really an option in the short run. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    --Carl

Re: Threading trouble

it kind of sounds like you may be holding the threader backwards, you should easily be able to apply some pressure to start the threads how about a picture of your setup?

Comment

Left handed?

J.C.

Comment

Go to the hardware store and pick up a 1" gal nipple (not a real short one) and see how it threads into the die, it should be pretty smooth. If not you may have to loosen the screws on the end to realign the teeth.

Comment

If I put enough pressure on the end of the die, it'll grab all right and I can cut the threads. Seems like I just haven't figured out how to push hard enough and steadily enough to get the threader to engage properly. How much pressure should it take? The instructions say "gently apply pressure to the front of the die at the same time moving the handle down in order to start the threader." It seems like it takes more than a little pressure to get it to engage. BTW, it's a right hand die, I'm putting it on properly (pipe guide first). The dies look fine. I'm a novice -- it's probably just a lack of skill, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
          --Carl

Comment

most is from the below URL
            http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventi...ional/Plumbing

Insert the correct size die into the die stock. Slide the die stock over the pipe and apply pressure with one hand. With the other hand, turn the stock handle slowly clockwise until the die has taken a bite on the pipe. Apply cutting oil to the die as the stock handle is given one complete clockwise turn and backed off a quarter turn. Repeat this action until desired thread length is obtained.
            Reverse ratchet by pulling ratchet control knob, from detente and turning it 180 degrees. Then back up the cutting die. The pipe is now threaded.

~~~~~~~~~~~
            here is another short how to
            http://www.tpub.com/content/construc.../14256_219.htm

this is the side that slips over the pipe,
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BHD; 02-28-2009, 01:31 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have had the same problem ...with the 1" die and a hand threader..
              Have done every thing to try to corect it
              I think we get bad 1" pipe some times,,Try a diferent stick of pipe.

Comment

If your teeth are properly adjusted and the pipe is not misshapen in any way then it might be the way you cut the pipe.

Too much pressure applied or using a dull cutting wheel on iron pipe will cause the end to slighly flare out. This will make it difficult to start the first thread.

Comment

Try this. Make several turns, click the lever to reverse, run backwards , pull out the scrap shavings with needle nose pliers. Keep doing this with plenty of oil.

I'm guessing You have a grey market tool.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

OK. It was a user problem.

When I push very firmly on the die with my left hand and crank the handle squarely with my right hand, it works fine. It just takes more pressure than I would have expected. I basically need to put my left foot on the bench that holds the pipe vise (so it won't slide), push very hard on the die with my left hand, and crank with my right hand.

I think I was turning the crank a little out of square previously (trying to use the handle for added pressure/leverage).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                    X