Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do it yourselfer going out of his mind!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it yourselfer going out of his mind!!

Hi all. I'm a general do-it-yourselfer kind of guy, plus I really don't have the cash right now to call in a pro or I would. I've been fighting a leaky shower for months with a constant light stream of hot water coming from the tub faucet. The first time it happened, I replaced the seat gasket, only to have that destroyed realizing that the seat itself needed replacement with a chunk missing that was cutting into the gasket and allowing water to pass. I've replaced that seat 3 times now, replaced the valve itself twice, all to no avail. With everything brand new, it still leaks. No matter what I'm getting this constant stream. Can somebody give me some ideas? The hot water is destroying and burning the tub surface.

Re: Do it yourselfer going out of his mind!!

Make and model of faucet would be useful information.You are saying seat but I am figureing you mean the flat washer.If you have replaced the seat(and its tight) and the stem and or flat washer and it still leaks you may just need a new faucet.A small stream of hot water over a few months has probably cost you as much as a pro would have.

Comment

I'm starting to think the same thing. I matched the faucet up to a Price Pfister. I did replace the actual seat as well (supplied with the stem in the package I bought.

So are you saying the faucet that the three stems plumb into is bad?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by jimsrams View Post
        I'm starting to think the same thing. I matched the faucet up to a Price Pfister. I did replace the actual seat as well (supplied with the stem in the package I bought.

So are you saying the faucet that the three stems plumb into is bad?

Thanks for the help.
        I cant honestly say that without seeing it but it could be.As much as you dont want to hear it the best answer is call a plumber.If it is bad and needs replaced its best to let a pro do it.Doesnt save you any money if you burn your house down trying to solder in a new faucet.

Comment

When you replaced the small brass seat,,
          Did you put a little teflon tape around the threads ?

Comment

Originally posted by jimsrams View Post
            Hi all. I'm a general do-it-yourselfer kind of guy, plus I really don't have the cash right now to call in a pro or I would. I've been fighting a leaky shower for months with a constant light stream of hot water coming from the tub faucet. The first time it happened, I replaced the seat gasket, only to have that destroyed realizing that the seat itself needed replacement with a chunk missing that was cutting into the gasket and allowing water to pass. I've replaced that seat 3 times now, replaced the valve itself twice, all to no avail. With everything brand new, it still leaks. No matter what I'm getting this constant stream. Can somebody give me some ideas? The hot water is destroying and burning the tub surface.
            Have you checked the water pressure coming into the house?
            The Other Rick

Comment

Burning the tub surface? turn down the water heater!!!!

It sounds like you replaced with the wrong parts, or put the washer in backwards. You should have noticed some difference. Unless there is a pin hole some not in the valve seat.

Comment

price pfister is a very common faucet out here. i have very little problems with them.

when you tightened the seat, did you properly dope or teflon the seat?

did you use the proper square tapered seat wrench? is the seat tight and not stripped the valve body threads.

with a new washer and seat, properly installed, there should not be a leak unless the valve is bad or the threads are stripped.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X