X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code question?

I had an inspector tell me today that it is okay to have a T&P relief line terminate on the garage floor. I always thought that a garage was part of the building thus the t&p line had to be run outside.

What code defines what "outside of the building" means?

Re: Code question?

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
    I had an inspector tell me today that it is okay to have a T&P relief line terminate on the garage floor. I always thought that a garage was part of the building thus the t&p line had to be run outside.

What code defines what "outside of the building" means?
    From your Plumbing Code:

6. Sec. 608.5 is modified to read:
    All relief valves shall be provided with a drain, not smaller than the relief valve outlet, of galvanized steel, hard drawn copper piping and fittings, CPVC, PB, or listed relief valve drain tube with fittings which shall not reduce the internal bore of the pipe or tubing (straight lengths as opposed to coils) and shall extend from the valve to the outside of the building with the end of the pipe not more than two feet (0.61 m) nor less than six inches (152.4 mm) above the ground and pointing downward. Such drains may terminate at other approved locations. No part of such drain pipe shall be trapped and the terminal end of the drain pipe shall not be threaded.

The outside of the building is anything outside of the building envelope. If the Jurisdiction allows the T&P drain to drain to the floor than it is legal in that Jurisdiction at that time.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have seen this as well....

My inspector will let this go as long as water won't get into house proper.

I think it is from the res builders code ( IPC series).

Something to the effect of the secondary draining in such a way as to be able to identify the leak....

Okie

Comment

"envelope" is that a foundation thing, or a roof thing, a wall thing?
        Seems like there should be something more concrete.

Comment

What Mark said

Comment

"envelope" is that a foundation thing, or a roof thing, a wall thing?
            Seems like there should be something more concrete.
            Remember the Code says outside which is simply that outside. The envelope includes conditioned space only so it was a poor answer to your question. Consider outside is anything which is not inside.

Mark

Comment

The UPC says:
              Building- a structure, built, erected and framed of component structural parts designed for the housing, shelter, enclosure, or support, of persons animals or property of any kind.

Seems like a garage...
              The inspector told the customer we did not need to run her t&p out of the garage. It was fine draining on the floor.(I agree but it isn't code)
              He told me that a garage is outside. Even though there was a concrete floor, a roof, three walls, and a door.

So now I'll treat garages like outdoors and they'll fail me or not going to the exterior.
              GRR

Comment

here it is exceptable to drain the t&p on the garage floor except in one city. that hole (juristdiction) thing is a pain in the butt i wish it would just be state wide
                Mike
                Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

IPC says the relief must terminate in the same room as the vessel served.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    IPC says the relief must terminate in the same room as the vessel served.
                    ?????????

Please elaborate as to interpretations of this.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I'll be terminating one in the furnace room 6" above a new area drain. Also the condensate drain from the 95 % new furnace will drain into it along with the W.H. LEAK PAN.
                      Do You see a problem with this? S.F.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        I'll be terminating one in the furnace room 6" above a new area drain. Also the condensate drain from the 95 % new furnace will drain into it along with the W.H. LEAK PAN.
                        Do You see a problem with this? S.F.
                        nope

Comment

If the room the heater is in, is finished, and damage could occur by the relief then it must be piped by an air gap to an approved receptor before it exits the room. You can not hard pipe it to the outside because then any leakage would not be visible and the problem would not be fixed. Also if it gets cold outside a slow weepage will freeze in and block the discharge.
                          sigpic

Comment

After discussing this with the inspector.
                            He says it a foundation thing.

If the garage is on it own foundation, and allows the water to drain away
                            (is sloped) from the residence then it is ok to terminate 6"- 24" from the garage floor.

Can't find it in the UPC...but at least I can figure out when he thinks it is ok.

Comment

After discussing this with the inspector.
                              He says it a foundation thing.

If the garage is on it own foundation, and allows the water to drain away
                              (is sloped) from the residence then it is ok to terminate 6"- 24" from the garage floor.

Can't find it in the UPC...but at least I can figure out when he thinks it is ok.
                              You are over-analyzing something really simple. Outside is exactly what it means "outside". The UPC Section 201.0 says unless the word has been addressed under Chapter 2 the words are as define with a common dictionary.

out⋅side   /n. ˈaʊtˈsaɪd, -ˌsaɪd; adj. ˌaʊtˈsaɪd, ˈaʊt-; adv. ˌaʊtˈsaɪd; prep. ˌaʊtˈsaɪd, ˈaʊtˌsaɪd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [n. out-sahyd, -sahyd; adj. out-sahyd, out-; adv. out-sahyd; prep. out-sahyd, out-sahyd] Show IPA
                              –noun 1.the outer side, surface, or part; exterior: The outside of the house needs painting. 2.the external aspect or appearance.3.the space without or beyond an enclosure, institution, boundary, etc.: a prisoner about to resume life on the outside. 4.a position away or farther away from the inside or center: The horse on the outside finished second. 5.an outside passenger or place on a coach or other vehicle.6.Northern Canada and Alaska. (sometimes initial capital letter) the settled or more populous part of Canada or the U.S.

The answer cannot be within the footprint of the foundation because what would you do with a cantilever section of a building?

Mark
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X