X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connect old quest to pex???

I am not sure I know how to use the great site, but need expert advice and am experienced and understand the issues, but HELP.

Let me say first that I used a lot of grey polybut quest in my rental houses years ago and have yet to have ANY PB related problems.
    I did a whole place with the big grey hand tighten compression fitting, zero problems. Later of course I went to the crimp tool and the COPPER inserts, still no problems.
    NOW: can I get adapters, or inserts or whatever to connect old grey Polybute quest to new age white pex? I know the interior diameters and wall thickness etc differ, but can I do this?
    I know all the Polybute stuff was pulled or phased out, I kept some for emergency repairs over the years, but have run out?
    Specific question: can I get an INSERT such that I could safely use the new sharktooth quick connect fitting on grey polybute? That would be a wierd fitting to stock I know.
    Thanks, John in Va.

Re: connect old quest to pex???

They have special fitting that you can use to connect the two.

Qest pex adapter I believe is what they go by.

Comment

Kudos to you for recognizing that you shouldn't use any push-on fittings on Poly-B unless you have a pipe insert that is properly sized for it.

I have never heard of a similar insert fitting ever being made for Poly-B, which is probably why I never heard of installers using 5/8 OD Comp connections on PB (although that doesn't mean that it didn't happen).

Zurn/Qest should have a transitional Poly-B x PEX crimp fitting. Uses the same crimp tool but different crimp rings; be sure to get Poly-B crimp rings.

Here's another source that I found with a quick Google search:
      http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/copp...-fittings.html

Good luck!
      Last edited by dahlvalveman; 03-06-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Polybutylene to Pex Is easy I have the Transition adapters in my truck ... You can also go to wersbo or you can use male or female Npt adapters if you have them many ways to go ... They Do have (crappy in my opinion and only as a last resort ) a white insert fitting with a nut you slide the nut on the pipe then insert the fitting then thread on nut hand tight plus about a turn and a half but you have to develop a feel for it ...

Shark bites come with the inserts but I do NOT trust them on Polybutylene !

Dave

Comment

When I come accross polybutylene I always recommend a pex repipe. They usually say "not yet" and I repair the leak. The Qest adapters work okay, but they can relax and leak over time. I use Sharkbites on grey poly to pex tubing for repairs. I have never had a call back or experienced any problems. The black poly is a bit thicker and won't always go into the Sharkbites easily, lube them up good. As a repair plumber I never waranty a poly repair job and explain to the customer about the inherit failures of polybutylene.

Comment

Plumb4life, and others, thanks so much,

Plumb4: you say you use sharkbites for joining grey polyb to white pex,
            That is my precise question.
            Again, I have never had any grey polyB failures, did HEAR that rats seeking water, post decon, would knaw into grey pipe....but never experienced that.
            It sound like the bottom line is, since I hooked up a water heater that had previously been done all in grey Polyb, I may be ok having slipped in the sharkbite fittings (2), based on your larger experience/expertise??
            John

Comment

Originally posted by jfrprops View Post
              Plumb4life, and others, thanks so much,

Plumb4: you say you use sharkbites for joining grey polyb to white pex,
              That is my precise question.
              Again, I have never had any grey polyB failures, did HEAR that rats seeking water, post decon, would knaw into grey pipe....but never experienced that.
              It sound like the bottom line is, since I hooked up a water heater that had previously been done all in grey Polyb, I may be ok having slipped in the sharkbite fittings (2), based on your larger experience/expertise??
              John
              As long as your water heater is electric you can connect pex directly to the water heater, if it gas fired the manufacture's of pex say 6 inches minimum from the flue pipe. When using Sharkbites make sure the tubing is not binding or tweaked at an angle in the fitting, or a leak can occur.

Comment

I've used Sharkbites on Qest, but the insert in this case is worthless. But I do get them to hold. You can still get the old gray Qest fittings. I still buy them (internet and Home Depot), and I prefer them to Sharkbite. I also tell the customer that it's a stopgap and I make no warranty. I won't touch it inside a house--only in the yard. So far (as far as I know), every repair I've made to Qest has held. If I remember right, the acetal compression fittings (still available) were not a problem. It was the metal crimp fittings (no longer available).

Comment

Well our experience so far on Oahu has been the toilet risers nut breaking ,,,,,plastic of course.
                  Now this has put us in a pickle cause once we touch it to replace a fill valve, seem that it becomes ours when it breaks days later.
                  We find the new plastic nuts on the risers to be heavy build.
                  I would suggest that any one repairing a toilet with the older gray piping, change the riser to the newer one.
                  Currently we are finding that once touch it seem we get blame for a product that is prone to breaking at supply connections.

Comment

...here is a sharkbite vieo that may help

Comment

Working...
                    X