X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurgling Drain

Just today I had a new shower installed and when setting the shower pan the tech. had to reposition the drain using a couple of 90 Deg elbows and now I hear water draining though-out the house in the shower drain. I also installed two new bath sinks and drain traps. (I went from the old metal ones to a couple of small plastic drain traps). When the tech moved the drain I thinking that there is too much "air" around the drain as it's just in empty space between the floor and sub-floor (w/ a craw space below). My thoughts are to stuff installation (from the craw space) up around the drain or do I change out the plastic trap for some heavy duty metal ones? Or does someone have another suggestion? The old shower drain was quite and the only two changes that we made were the plastic drain traps on the sinks (but I also hear it when the upstairs shower is in use) and moving the old drain for the new location.

Re: Gurgling Drain

I would insulate!
    Did he put mortar under the new shower pan? It is probably vibrating when water hits it.
    The sink traps are fine there should not be much sound from the sinks.

Comment

When you say tech, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you probably dont mean state licensed plumber.

If that is the case then I just solved your problem, hire a licensed plumber.

There is a reason for the license as you are finding out.

90 degree elbows?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I would sure like to see the "couple of nineties" he used and whether they were in the trap arm or not. Out of curiosity, did an inspector come out to the house and do an inspection?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Are you saying...

(A) That if you put your ear up to the new shower drain you can hear the echo of water running in the sewer system from other sources?

or

(B) That while running water in the newly installed upstairs shower you can hear the water through the walls downstairs?

Lenny

Comment

Thanks for all the quick response. They are licensed contractors and are nationwide. The noise I hear is a water echo running though the drain pipe, no need to put your ear up to the drain as you can hear it standing in the bathroom. The 90's were installed so that they were able to move the drain about 6 inches toward the middle of the shower. Old drain pipe was cut off just below the old drain and an elbow was installed and then a small spacer and another elbow to the new location.
            Thanks again.

Comment

If you here water running from your new shower drain..
              your tech may have made a almost trap with the 2 90s

Comment

Originally posted by Aquariumdiver View Post
                Thanks for all the quick response. They are licensed contractors and are nationwide. The noise I hear is a water echo running though the drain pipe, no need to put your ear up to the drain as you can hear it standing in the bathroom. The 90's were installed so that they were able to move the drain about 6 inches toward the middle of the shower. Old drain pipe was cut off just below the old drain and an elbow was installed and then a small spacer and another elbow to the new location.
                Thanks again.
                I think you may have a problem and it does not matter whether they are licensed or not. You should not be able to hear water entering your DWV system from other fixtures through your shower drain. I would recommend taking a flashlight and looking down into your new shower drain. If you do not see water sitting in the trap there is no trap. If you do see water sitting in the trap I would then recommend you climb under your house and take a picture of their rework. If you post the pictures online here we will have a better idea of what is going on.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Bingo , Mark just solved Your problem , I believe ! The shower has no trap to keep out sewer gas! If so, Your family's health is at risk! As a side note, You now have a musical instrument!
                  Last edited by toolaholic; 03-07-2009, 12:40 AM. Reason: I'm Old !
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks again.
                    Once again, I'm not seeing the words licensed plumber.

A contractor could be a carpenter, which does not make them qualified to do plumbing. I have a hammer in my truck but it does not make me a carpenter.

Anyway, If they are licensed plumbers and they didnt install a ptrap they need their licensed revoked.

If they are licensed plumbers, they may have allowed their helper to install the drain without checking their work. Make sure the supervisor aware of the problem.

90's to offset? 45's or 22's yes, not 90's.

This fact alone leads me to believe that these "licensed contractors" dont know what they are doing.

One thing is for sure...

Lenny

Comment

A [ almost trap ] is slang for pert near it almost but not quite

Comment

i live in a double wide.

the ensuite tub and the main bathroom tub have no p-traps.

how do i know this?

#1 - i'm a certified plumber.

#2 - i can hear waste water draining into the sewer service through the tubs drains from other fixtures.

ie; the laundry standpipe when the washing machine discharges. when the basin in the ensuite is used.

i have to leave it "as is" because the owner doesn't want me touching anything because he has a "contractor" that does the work for him.

the contractor has a certified tradesman on staff. certified tradesman doesn't necessarily mean "certified plumber".

i am left with no choice but to tape the overflows and keep a plug on the tub drains so the sewer gasses don't enter the trailer.

the contractor in question told me that i was looking for a 4"X 3" ABS reducer and not a 3"X 4" ABS increaser.

i don't argue with tunnel visioned people. i just walk away.

when you crawl, i'm pretty sure your going to find that there isn't an "approved" p-trap.

Vince

Comment

Problem solved. When you guys started talking about ptraps I realized that in waiting for the caulk to cure and being a new installation we had NOT run any water down the drain and the trap was empty I ran the water for a minute or two and now the problem is solved.
                          Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Comment

sometimes we tend to overthink things.

i'm very glad to read that things worked out.

Vince

Comment

Problem solved. When you guys started talking about ptraps I realized that in waiting for the caulk to cure and being a new installation we had NOT run any water down the drain and the trap was empty I ran the water for a minute or two and now the problem is solved.
                              Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
                              You just taught some very good plumbers , a new lesson. ASSUME NOTHING!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X