1 hp Sump Cycles every 14 seconds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 hp Sump Cycles every 14 seconds

I purchased a new 1hp ridgid pump, and installed it in my sump well. The original pump is still OK, but I rerouted the drain line temporarily. The old sump would almost fill the well before it came on and pumped it out. This new pump starts up every 14 seconds and drains the well. I would like the pump to allow the well to fill more so this incessant cycling will lessen. My electric bill was 400.00 this month, and is normally less than 200. Please advise!

Re: 1 hp Sump Cycles every 14 seconds

Question: Can you post the brand and model number of the new pump?

Let's find what others have to say about this.

As for your new sump pump switching on and off frequently, please pull the plug and reinstall your older sump pump. Either there is something wrong with the new one or something is wrong with the installation. A sump pump must not cycle so frequently. Normally such would cause major failure of the pump quickly.

You might setup outside where you use a clean trash can as a sump. Be sure to brace the pump so it doesn't move wildly when powered up. You will want to install a few fittings and some PVC pipe so the water travels a few feet above the top of the trash can and using an elbow blasts out into your yard. You can use a garden hose to fill up the trash can. Normally there should be quite a difference in the water level for ON and OFF. If all of this seems like a big pain maybe you can return it for credit or another one. For this test you can leave out the check valve. The idea is to find the water levels for ON and OFF.

Comment

Does your pump have an integral float or is the float separate? If it's integral, try setting it on a brick so it's up off the bottom of your sump pit.

Comment

Sounds like a check valve is needed or leaking by.

Comment

You most likely have a new SSP-1000 with the solid state watersense switch.

Although the manual does not describe the pump's operating procedure, the single "Attention Customer" sheet says
          the sump pump will run a minimum of 4 seconds, to a maximum of 16 seconds before stopping. Under flooding conditions, the sump pump will stop for 1 second, every 16 seconds, and automatically turn back on.
          I don't know if this procedure is required by the solid state watersense switch based models or if the procedure is necessary for all models.

I noticed my basement was flooding today during a rain. At first i thought it was a broken water line but tracked it down to a failed sump pump in about 30 minutes. I drove out to Home Depot to find that it had just closed so I banged on the doors until a sales rep came up and i pleaded my case. They where nice enough to let me in to buy a replacement pump - the SSP-1000. Once i got home, i had it installed and pumping in 5 minutes. I was curious about the on/off operation of the pump even when the sump pit was full as well. I'm calling RIDGID to ask why it works that way.
          Last edited by nelsonxm; 03-08-2009, 12:49 AM.

Comment

It certainly is the SSP 1000. I do believe this "problem" is in fact, the nature of the pump. So, wouldn't it be great if they could develop a "taller" switch that would allow fo the pump well to fill higher before it activates? I am going to contact their support folks to discuss. I guess at this point, I have it set as a secondary pump, so if my main goes out, I will have to live with the cycling. Thanks for your assistance!

Comment

I have one as well that stays completely submerged but still cycles at 16/1.....

Comment

Working...
              X