Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

New waste disposer - can't remove old discharge tube?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New waste disposer - can't remove old discharge tube?

My previous waste disposer (an InSinkErator Badger) died, so I bought a new one. Not having any experience with those things, I bought an Evolution Essential without paying attention that it might not be so easy to replace one by the other.

Everything was going ok until I tried to remove the old discharge tube to replace it by the new one -which I have to do, they are not compatible.

For a reason I cannot understand, the old tube moves vertically by an inch or two, and then is stuck. I just can't remove the darn thing. I tried to lubricate it with some liquid soap, to no avail, it is stuck solid.

Here it is in its lower possible position. And then in its upper level position.

Er... any idea? Plumbing isn't my forte at all, I'm ok completing the installation of the disposer, but I don't feel capable of dismantling the whole set of PVC pipes and replace them.

Re: New waste disposer - can't remove old discharge tube?

It would be easier if you had a removable trap .
    just get rough with it it should be just stuck with goop once it turns it should come out.
    If it breaks will go to plan 2

Comment

Hi Delcase, thanks for your quick answer.

It does turn around very easily, it actually moves freely up to a point where it gets stuck solid. I did try to get rough with it (you can see the marks on the pictures! ). I thought of sawing it and have easier access to the remaining piece, but I'm afraid that the remaining piece would fall in the PVC pipe and then I'll never get it out (and have a great source of clogging over time). This is FRUSTRATING!

Comment

When in doubt.... cut it out.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          When in doubt.... cut it out.
          Yeah, but as I said, I'm afraid that the remaining (lower) piece of tube -which moves freely- would fall in the PVC pipe and then I'll never get it out (and have a great source of clogging over time)?

Comment

Originally posted by jmoisand View Post
            Yeah, but as I said, I'm afraid that the remaining (lower) piece of tube -which moves freely- would fall in the PVC pipe and then I'll never get it out (and have a great source of clogging over time)?
            i think he means "cut the trap out".

Vince

Comment

While I cant offer any better advice than already given I must compliment you on posting good pictures.

Comment

you dont lack much if you can shove a screw driver down the trap around the disposal 90 and work it around it should come out

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                  you dont lack much if you can shove a screw driver down the trap around the disposal 90 and work it around it should come out

Yeah try prying it out!

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                    Not enough space for a screwdriver, but with a knife, I succeeded to dislodge the goo, and it *FINALLY* went out.

The rest of the installation was easy, it's all set up and working now.

Many thanks to Delcase and the other folks who answered. I know it was a dumb question, much appreciated to have received helpful answers not making fun of my utter lack of plumbing experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoisand View Post
                      Not enough space for a screwdriver, but with a knife, I succeeded to dislodge the goo, and it *FINALLY* went out.

The rest of the installation was easy, it's all set up and working now.

Many thanks to Delcase and the other folks who answered. I know it was a dumb question, much appreciated to have received helpful answers not making fun of my utter lack of plumbing experience.
                      this is a really good crew here.

glad to read thing's worked out.

Vince

Comment

Working...
                      X