Galvanized steel water pipe...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanized steel water pipe...

I'm a new construction guy that is getting into service. Tuesday I'm scheduled to fix a galvanized steel water pipe that is leaking and replace a 2" gate valve with a 2" ball valve. Any suggestions or cautions out there for this? I've never used or been involved with galvanized steel pipe and looking for some tips, thanks!

Re: Galvanized steel water pipe...

Depends how old your galvi is. Threads are threads.Plan on cutting in a union and be comfy with whatever threader you use.Beyond that it will be down to what ever valve is in front of where you are working and draining things down.Let us know how you do!
    BTW I like tape *and* dope on those older installs.

Comment

Is it possible or OK to re-use the existing threads for the new shut-off if they appear to be okay? Or is it considered common place just to cut and re-thread?

Comment

its ok to re use the threads just make sure u use a wire brush or something to clean up the existing threads. I agree dope and tape are a must. Have fun and try to stay dry
        if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Don't mean to be the dark cloud on your first project, but doesn't sound like you have done much work with steel pipe and threading.

If this galvanized line is rusted to the point of leaking, need to watch out the the whole line is not rotten. When you go to hold back on the existing pipe with a wrench it could just collapse or eggshape. When threading the old pipe check the threads to make sure they did not cut all the way through to the inside of the pipe (when pipe gets really thin this will happen).

Good luck with it and let us know how you come out with it.

G3

Comment

I'd start with 2 -24" pipe wrenches .Then- Oh never mind
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

g3 hit the button on the head. water piping will be an issue if it's old. good luck with getting it off without distorting the pipe.

and if you plan on threading the exisiting pipe in place, even better luck.

it's not that you don't have experience, it's we've been there done that and it's hit or miss.

gas pipe would be no problem as there's no corrosion with it.

hopefully you have a backup plan for the building before you shut off the water.

take pictures and please post.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

personally, I try to go from fitting to fitting if possible. So I would dig up the riser to the under ground 90. It is faster than trying to re thread rusty pipe in place. You also get to see the condition of the rest of the pipe before you start sawzalling or trying to get those joints apart.

Comment

No, no experience at all. I'm a 'fresh outta new-construction' guy that got on with a service company that's willing to let me learn on the job. I'm hoping there's another guy with me, but my work order doesn't mention one so I'm preparing for the worst. I'll post back tomorrow with results...

Comment

A little heat from your torch will help it come apart

Comment

FOLLOW-UP Report:
                      I play assistant to a senior member of the crew and had quite a good experience. The 2" main coming out of concrete floor in the parkade had a gate valve (open) followed by a back-check valve. We replaced the backcheck and a couple of nipples between the BC and the union with a ball valve. The inner pipe was heavily corroded, maybe loosing 1/2 it's internal diameter (in 35 yr old building). The 'fun' came as the galv-pipe entered the boiler room and switcheds to copper. The last length of galv pipe (approx 3ft) was good on one end (the 90 it came off at) but a 1/4 of the threads had erroded away at the copper connection. (What type of die-electric fitting should you use for galv to copper). We just replaced and re-soldered. The rest of the day was replace toilet tank float-valves and stops in rental suits.
                      Sorry, no photos. Totally forgot about until the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticketed View Post
                        FOLLOW-UP Report:
                        I play assistant to a senior member of the crew and had quite a good experience. The 2" main coming out of concrete floor in the parkade had a gate valve (open) followed by a back-check valve. We replaced the backcheck and a couple of nipples between the BC and the union with a ball valve. The inner pipe was heavily corroded, maybe loosing 1/2 it's internal diameter (in 35 yr old building). The 'fun' came as the galv-pipe entered the boiler room and switcheds to copper. The last length of galv pipe (approx 3ft) was good on one end (the 90 it came off at) but a 1/4 of the threads had erroded away at the copper connection. (What type of die-electric fitting should you use for galv to copper). We just replaced and re-soldered. The rest of the day was replace toilet tank float-valves and stops in rental suits.
                        Sorry, no photos. Totally forgot about until the end of the day.
                        Thanks for the update. How long you been doing this again?

J.C.

Comment

lol use a 6" brass nipple to female adapter next time

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            ..... How long you been doing this again?

J.C.

Four years of new construction. And now 2 days (and counting) of service.

.... BUT long enough to know & understand diss-similar metals and need for cathodic protection. I wasn't about to rock the boat on my 2nd day with a guy that is one of the senior () guys in the company. I would have done differently.

Comment

Understand Ticketed. I was just going to tell you that you might want to see if you could get hooked up with a better teacher at your job.

No offense intended.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X