X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rerouting Kitchen Sink Vent Pipe

I am planning a kitchen renovation which involves removing the soffit. The soffit above the kitchen sink is hiding a 1-1/2" - 2" copper vent pipe. As far as I can tell, the k/s is the only thing on this vent pipe. I've attached three images showing 1) what is existing, 2) what I want to do, and 3) the gable end of the house and the pipe's location on that wall.

My primary concern is with drilling a hole through the top plate. Will this affect the structural integrity of the wall/roof? There must have been a reason that it was originally done this way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nick
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickW; 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM.

Re: Rerouting Kitchen Sink Vent Pipe

all seem to be acceptable to me, do you have any pictures, are you using copper, plastic or ci?

Comment

I haven't ventured up into the attic yet, but the pipe coming out of the wall is copper. The elbows almost look like cast iron (textured and black). I haven't removed the soffit yet, but I can post a picture looking up into the soffit at what is currently there.

Like I said, I'm really only concerned with drilling through the top plate. My understanding was that you had to keep the size of the hole under 50% of the total width. I'm assuming that the top plate is a 2x4, which would mean that cutting a 2" hole would be too much. Perhaps it's a 2x6 though?

I'll post a pic soon.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Nick

Comment

So here are some pictures showing inside the soffit. I was incorrect about the cast iron fitting, it's obviously copper. Does it still seem possible to drill through what appears to be the top plate and whatever is above it to re-route this pipe to the attic?

Thanks,

Nick
        Attached Files

Comment

Drill the hole. With the sheathing etc. in place and a gable end already there, it will do no harm.

Comment

I won't know more until I take down the soffit and can look closer, but would it be acceptable to notch out the wood? I don't see how notching it out would cause any more structural issues than drilling a large hole.

Thanks again.

Nick

Comment

I wouldn't notch it if it were my house....or anybody else's either. Just drill the hole. It's much stronger/better for side loads.

Comment

Originally posted by NickW View Post
                I won't know more until I take down the soffit and can look closer, but would it be acceptable to notch out the wood? I don't see how notching it out would cause any more structural issues than drilling a large hole.

Thanks again.

Nick
                I would go ahead and drill then put a FHA strap (a 16 gauge metal plate) on the side of the top plate. It will protect your pipe from nails etc and add some of the strength back.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                  I would go ahead and drill then put a FHA strap (a 16 gauge metal plate) on the side of the top plate. It will protect your pipe from nails etc and add some of the strength back.
                  Sometimes called nail plates. Available at local home centers from 3" -8" in length. Good idea about the nail plate. Wouldn't want a sheetrock screw going through the brandy new vent.

Comment

Working...
                  X