X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Drop ear elbow

New house construction, I've got to install a pot filler faucet. A VERY HEAVY pot filler. It's fitting is 1/2" female I think. It is pretty straight forward, just threads on to a nipple like a bath fixture. the weight has me concerned. these elbows don't seem to be attached very firmly to the 2x blocking. Is there a method to make a more secure attachment? I'm concerned that the weight will want to rip it off the blocking. Granted, once it's tightened to the back splash, that may help prevent the tendency to rotate downward somewhat.

Re: Attaching Drop ear elbow

Use a 2x6 block, with the wing ell (drop ear ell) situated near the top of the block with the 1/2" line coming from below. Screw in the wing ell and put another strap near the bottom of the block, This will pretty much prevent any downward rocking caused by the weight of the pot filler and any extra leverage that might be placed upon it by a careless hand.
    Btw, whats a eng. tech?

Comment

Sounds crude, I install articulating faucets ,My self . Nice ones can cost $700
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Does the faucet require any external support, such as a service sink faucet?

Comment

no, no external support. here's the link

http://www.chicagofaucet.com/catalog...P&FamilyID=195

Comment

Just make sure that the wall flange is flush up against the wall. if it is uneven then you may have a problem. But if it is snug to the wall all the way around it should be good.

Comment

i don't know if it's too late to change the rough-in, maybe this would be better?

Vince

seems like it would be more sturdy if anchored to the counter top?
              Attached Files

Comment

It might be located above the back of the stove where having a pot filler makes sense, so you don't have to carry a 20 qt. stock pot full of water from the sink to the stove.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                  It might be located above the back of the stove where having a pot filler makes sense, so you don't have to carry a 20 qt. stock pot full of water from the sink to the stove.
                  i think this filler is supposed to be roughed-in beside the stove.

Vince

Comment

i install mine towards the top of the block that way i can get a couple 1/2 straps on the pipe than if it is not in an exterior wall i mount it back so the nipple is supported where it comes out the wall works well for me
                    Mike
                    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Anchor the drop ear to a pressure treated 2x6 like Plumbus said. I usually mount a copper Hold-Rite bracket to the face of the stud during rough in with a 1/2" nipple and cap sticking out through the 3/4" hole.

I do this for mop sink faucets because someone always hangs a bucket on the faucet when filling. I feel it gives better support and keeps the spread dead on 8". Those external brackets are crap IMO and won't hold a 5 gallon bucket of water.

If you are really concerned about the weight, use a galvanized nipple instead of brass on the final connection.

Comment

i forgot about the hanging thing.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          If you are really concerned about the weight, use a galvanized nipple instead of brass on the final connection.
                          Since a pot filler doesn't get used that often (how much pasta can a family eat), I'd be concerned about a customer complaining about orange water. How about a stainless nipple? Or course, if there's a menstruating female in the house the orange water (iron oxide) would be good for them.

Comment

Working...
                          X