installing copper baseboard before finished floor installed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing copper baseboard before finished floor installed

when installing copper baseboards before a finished floor is installed, as in a basement, and a decision has not been made as to the specific type of finished floor, how high above the rough floor do the pros normally mount the baseboard; is there a general rule of thumb anyone has found that's helpful? flooring options would be limited to engineered wood, carpet and tile. no sleepers on the floor; whatever flooring is chosen, it will be installed right over the basement's concrete floor. thanks
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: installing copper baseboard before finished floor installed

I may be wrong, but I would go about 2"-4". wood and carpet are going to be about the same thickness, it's the tile floors that float out that very in height.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

1" above the rough floor goes the bottom of the baseboard. there is a template that comes with the baseboard for for the rough in dimensions for the stubouts

Comment

It's better to be too high than too low that's for sure

Dust bunnies and cat toys get stuck under the baseboard if it's low preventing good circulation of air

Comment

3/4 to 1" above the finished floor is wht we aim for.
          sigpic

Comment

I lay mine on top of a 2x4 to get it 1 1/2" off of the gypcrete floors in the apartment buildings I last worked on. On top of the gypcrete (a thin, soupy gypsum-cement based sub floor covering) the floor guys just glued linoleum right to it, so it only raised the floor a hair. It worked with carpet too or on the first floor concrete slab, which should be basically the same as your basement. The template that comes with slant-fin tells you where to drill all your holes. Mark the studs on the floor with a marker and go nuts, just make sure you make any nessecary holes for piping before hanging it on the wall. Try to situate your splice kits in the center of a wall too! (for example if you have a 9 foot wall use a 5 foot and 4 foot kit and put the splice right in the middle, good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X