X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Reducing Valve

I've been told I have a valve that needs to be replaced. My house was built in the late 80's. After using the water in the morning I hear a loud banging noise anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hr later. It is erratic. Sometimes it will do it day after day, other times not for a week or so.

Bottom line is a plumber told me the PRV was bad, however, there doesnt appear to be an issue with water pressure in the house or at the outside hose. The plumber did put a gauge on it and indicated there was an issue.

First question would be, is the noise I hear resulting from an issue with the valve? Secondly, why hasn't the water pressure changed noticeably if the valve was bad? Third, what are the negative ramifications of the valve going bad? Pipe burst possible? Lastly, I was quoted $400 for this to be replaced. Seems high. Access to the valve is provided by a 4' crawl space so there is plenty of room to work. What should I expect to pay?

Re: Pressure Reducing Valve

$625 is a fair price and average around here.
    You did not mention what the pressure was when it was checked.

Comment

it could be the T&P valve banging because the PRV is NFG.

Vince

Comment

So SOP, replace the PRV PDQ.

Comment

Go down to your local hardware store and pick up an inexpensive water pressure test gauge. Take a reading on your system before your regulator and note what the pressure is. Then install the gauge to your laundry cold water bib and monitor it for the rest of the day. Get back to us with some pressure readings and tell us what the guage is doing when you are hearing things.
          Last edited by rookie plumber; 03-15-2009, 04:47 AM.

Comment

as mentioned post the pressure reading before the regulator and after the regualtor.

also please read the recent post about "thermal expansion"

need to know what size regulator is installed.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I have no idea what you guys are talking about..before and after the regulator. Whats a regulator?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                $625 is a fair price and average around here.
                You did not mention what the pressure was when it was checked.
                Around here a PRV costs around $50. And the average one takes me about 20 minutes to replace, so $625 is absolutely insane if yuo ask me, even figuring in driving time, etc. it shouldn't take more than an hour or so.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Ferrante, based on your initial inquiry, it appeared that you had some idea what was going on. PRV is a short term for pressure reducing valve or regulator. What we are suggesting is that you give us a pressure reading from a hose bib (here we go again, this is what you screw your garden hose onto on the exterior of the house) This needs to be done somewhere before that regulator you talked about under you house. If you can't do this easily then go to a neighbors house but make sure that you are getting a reading that is unregulated. You may have noticed that there is one hose bib on your property that the water really flys out of the hose better than others, this may be an off regulated bib. When you are sure about this reading then put the water pressure test gauge on the cold water bib that feeds your washing machine. Turn on the bib and monitor the pressure. Get back to us on the forum so we can walk you through the next steps including possibly getting hold of a good plumber. We need the right information from you to aim you in the right direction.
                  Last edited by rookie plumber; 03-15-2009, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks Rookie. Whats a T&P valve?

Comment

I bought a gauge and measure around 74psi at the front spigot and around 80 psi at the spigot at the rear of the house. Is that telling me that the PRV isnt working properly?

Comment

Working...
                      X