X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting commode on offset flange

I have a commode on the 1st floor of my home that is installed with a PVC offset flange. The commode was set with a standard wax sanitary ring. After pulling the commode due to noticing moisture toward the back I determined there is not a good seal between the commode horn and the floor flange, the wax ring is round and the flange is oval. Is there a wax ring designed for this transition or a standard installation method to close that gap?

I know the best solution would be to bust up the slab and correct the installation to eliminate the offset but due to the location and other constrains this is not an option. If there is not a commercially available fix for this I am thinking of a piece of Lexan or other material cut to shape and attached to the flange with RTV or other method. I am open to suggestions.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Steve

Re: Setting commode on offset flange

Well Honest Opinion,

I'm a Habitual Liar, so the best I can offer is buying two wax rings, not the ones with those plastic horns and cut half of one and mate it to the other, cutting out the roundness of the one that covers the majority, then use the half edge of the other.

Take the cut out piece and mend those two pieces together so it's a positive seal when you set the toilet.

Anything else is going to be a difficult modification with problems down the road.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

When you are taking out that illegal offset flange, raise the height the proper way.

Gotta do it the right way! Break it up and cut the crap out. Offsets are illegal here, UPC country. Can't have a ledge in the drain system.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Dunbar,

Thanks for the fast reply. I considered that as well but was concerned that there would not be sufficient support toward the back of the oval and the wax ring would fall away.

Could the additional partial piece be attached to the complete ring by melting the two together slightly?

Comment

westcoastplumber,

I appreciate your input but the offset is not to correct the height of the flange but the lateral location of it. As I indicated in my original post, busting up the slab is not an option. The house is almost 30 years old and I don’t have access to the plumbing codes for this area for that time period, I can only assume that at least at that time is was not illegal to use an offset flange as it evidently passed inspection.

Comment

I do Just like Dunbar said , i will make a big oval the shape of the flange , 2 reg wax should do it

Comment

u can reshape a ring just by pinching and pressing it in your hands, id avoid trying to "melt" it togeather with any source of flame. maybe just warm them up a bit with an electric hair dryer and pinch them togeather if they arent binding togeather on their own.
              hot on the left, cold on the right... so hot ladies to the left and cold drinks to the right? lets hope gravity keeps em down all night!

Comment

I have not tried it myself but some of the plumbers here swear by using plumbers putty in place of a modified wax ring.

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to respond with a suggestion. Although plumbers putty would be the easier option I am going to try Dunbar’s suggestion. I’ll let you know how it worked out.

Comment

if the offset is front to back, ie a regular flange would put the toilet too close to the wall, consider cutting out the offset flange and using a repair flange with a 10" rough toilet if that will be enough to let it fit. If the offset is side to side, you're stuck with a lot of work or a bs installation. offset flanges are recipes for future problems.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                      I have not tried it myself but some of the plumbers here swear by using plumbers putty in place of a modified wax ring.
                      Got a feeling these plumber have been around awhile as this was common when toilet had 4 bolts instead of 2.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Dunbar,

I did as you suggested. I did cut the first ring and formed it to conform to the oval of the flange then cut a piece out the second ring to fill in the gap. I worked the wax of the two pieces to seal the seam.
                        I have verified there is no leaking at the seal so I am happy to say that is behind me for the forseeable future.
                        Again, thanks for your input.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X