X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting 6" pipe?

If you needed to cut some steel 6" pipe with a, wall thickness of about 10 gage, (1/8" approximately), and wanted nice cuts, (to be welded), (straight cuts). most of the pipe is in 40 foot lengths currently.

what would you suggest to use?
    Last edited by BHD; 03-14-2009, 09:53 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: cutting 6" pipe?

A slow cutting radial arm band saw, with water/oil lubrication.

Cuts take a long time but the finished cut is clean.

Of course, I just mentioned something in the thousands.

Plasma cutter followed up with a grinder? Lots of work though.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I'm a welder with all the toys. I have an automatic band saw with oiler.

Eat Your heart out .
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        A slow cutting radial arm band saw, with water/oil lubrication.

Cuts take a long time but the finished cut is clean.

Of course, I just mentioned something in the thousands.

Plasma cutter followed up with a grinder? Lots of work though.
        i
        Have a Hypertherm power max 600 plasma It cuts 3/4" steel clean. I'm bragging , why not?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

metal cutting chop saw, i know my makita will do 6", I have used it for ductile iron before

Comment

for a nice straight cut that will butt and still leave a little bevel for welding.

a ridgid pipe cutter will do a very clean and straight cut. 1/8'' wall is pretty thin for 6'' pipe, so i doubt it will really strain you. model 6-s or hinged model 466s.

how many cuts and what size pieces.

for a couple thousand you can buy their cutter that is powered by a 700 threader. model 258.

of course a plasma cutter is fast and easy, but not the easiest to cut bevels around the pipe without a motorized roller.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I currently have 1200' feet of it and want to cut in to about 7' to 8' foot lengths, for a farm project, or at lest some guessing about half of it, of it, into 7 to 8 foot lengths, not all of it will be used on this project, I want to use it in some fencing and corrals the pipe was free (actual payed some to move it), some will be welded and some will not be,

leaning towards the model 6-s , but to work a 40 foot pipe on to a stationary saw would not be that easy, the model 6-s would let me use the forks to lift it and then cut it,

what number is the makita saw you were talking about?

I guess I could make a 20" cut off saw, that I could set up in the shop yard and some stands that would let one feed the pipe into it, (jsut thinking here), possibly someting like in the picture, below,
              http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/abrasive_saws.asp
              K20SSF 20" Abrasive Saw
              20" abrasive wheel,( not included).
              Rugged cast iron trunnion and arm.
              Super rigid, super accurate.
              Heavy-duty guards, efficient spark chute.
              Fast, foot-operated chain vise.
              1" wheel arbor. Sealed ball bearings.
              Table 18" wide x 30" deep.
              Capacity 4" solid, 6" shapes.
              2500 spindle RPM.
              Optional work stop (WL-20). Optional: Power down feed # PH-20
              Optional dust collector (DCV-1), Oscillation #OSC-26
              Dimensions - L 41" x W 24" x H 55"
              15 HP TEFC saw duty motor, 3 phase (220V)
              Magnetic starter, adjustable down stop, less abrasive wheel.
              Attached Files
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

ill have to look next time i go to the shop, ill look tommorrow for you, how about a demo saw? will it not cut it straight enough?

Comment

I would cut with a gas axe and finish with a 5" grinder.

Comment

currently I am looking for ideas and then the budget for the project, which is not that great,

Besides a torch I have little to cut that large of pipe on hand, and I hate to say it but I am not that steady with a torch any more, never have ran one well for some reason, unless I have some type of guide to follow, My son can cut with one and it ends up nearly as smooth as a saw cut, but my torch cuts leave some to be desired,
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I would use a chop saw with a metal blade and rotate the pipe. I use a chop saw to cut 2" steel pipe all the time, works fine, costs squat.
                      sigpic

Comment

Of course ,I've got a chop saw. Don't use it much. It's so LOUD ! I Already wear 2 hearing aids , Ain't got room for 3

Comment

six inch hing cutters will work wonders for ya. Just be sure to get ridgid or reed and not the chicom one that are on ebay, they don't track.

G3

http://cgi.ebay.com/H8S-REED-03140-P...3A2%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ridgid-No-468-Hi...3A5%7C294%3A50

these are a couple on ebay now

G3

Comment

I want to thank ever one who has given an idea and or suggestions, thank you again,
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

If you were doing pipe fab work then I would say look into a Wachs cutter. But it sounds like you want to chop up some long lengths of irrigation pipe for use as fence posts, braces, and what not.

Can't remember the name of the maker but since you have a torch rig already maybe look for a oxy-acetylene pipe cutting/beveling rig. It sits on the pipe and you can manually (on the lower priced models) crank the torch around and make nice square cuts or bevels in prep for welding.
                              This is a motorized model that follows a chain track, not cheap.

There are similar units that are moved manually and less expensive.

Actually as ingenious as you are you could probably whip one up for yourself in a weekend that uses your current torch.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X