X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to expect

.....just suppose that i bought a water heater 4 years ago. i bought it because my water heater was 10 years old and i wanted to have it on hand for the inevitable leak that may be around the corner. well, it hasn't leaked yet and i still have the tank, in my basement, still in its sealed card board box. if i install it now, how does this affect the warranty? am i just screwed if the new tank leaks , say, in a year? does the warranty go by the purchase date......even though the install didn't take place for 4 years? just wondering and thanks.

Re: what to expect

Safe bet.I would call the company 800 number and ask.

Comment

It's usually based on date of purchase

Comment

Years ago I worked at a supply house, and had several plumbers that stocked a couple of different size HWH's. If they had a HWH that they had a model in the shop that didn't move in six or eight months they came by on their way to the install. I 'returned' it and then 'sold' in back to them at the same price that I returned it for. It did have to be a model that was current, and it still had to be in the original sealed box/crate. Then the warranty was not a problem if anything did happen. Four years, not a chance. Plumbers that were regulars only, not the public.

Mick

Comment

........now, if i were to sell this tank, and the potential customer asks, HEY! WHAT KIND OF WARRANTY COMES WITH THIS? what should i say?

Comment

Most manufactures will use date code stamped on heater

If it's outside of warranty period then they will ask for a Proof of Install with a legible install date.

I've processed a warranty heater replacement 5 years AFTER expiration using the Final Inspection Certificate on a new home. It was a model home in a new subdivision that the developers sold last.

Comment

chances are the heater will outlast it's original 5-6 year warranty.

but it is based on the date it was sold.

that would be the date it was sold to the end user./ the customer.

i too have a few heaters left from pre fvir days and i'm stuck with them. all i can do is try to get rid of them on craigs list. can't legally sell or install them.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Re: what to expect This is so Funny , Ihave

A 1954 vette in My garage, still in the shipping crate! I'm calling Chevy tomorrow!
                I want My $3800 Back !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

can't legally sell or install them.

rick.[/quote]

......i know one thing, i'm NOT gonna eat it!!

Comment

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
                    .....just suppose that i bought a water heater 4 years ago. i bought it because my water heater was 10 years old and i wanted to have it on hand for the inevitable leak that may be around the corner. well, it hasn't leaked yet and i still have the tank, in my basement, still in its sealed card board box. if i install it now, how does this affect the warranty? am i just screwed if the new tank leaks , say, in a year? does the warranty go by the purchase date......even though the install didn't take place for 4 years? just wondering and thanks.
                    Since your existing heater is 14 years old, why don't you change it out now. You've gotten your money's worth on it and you won't have to hassle with customer warranty. I'd also call the supply house where I bought it and ask for a warranty upgrade on a "personal use" item.

Comment

Working...
                    X