X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stuck!!!

I have lived in my two story house for 4 years. Every spring I start smelling an odor in my 2nd floor. It smells like sewage I think. I am on a septic system that was inspected and passed 4 years ago. I had the tank pumped in the summer of 2008, and visually inspected, everything was good. I thought it was the traps under the double sink in the kitchen so I plugged both sinks for the entire afternoon and evening, still stinks! It actually gets worse when I open the windows. The vent goes through the roof by a kitchen window that we don't open. The smell is very rare in the winter months. I want to be clear on one point, the smell is also prevelant when the windows are closed. Please help!!

Re: I'm stuck!!!

Have your ductwork checked. More than once I've had someone insist that it is sewer smell only to find a decaying squirrel or two in there.

If the plumbing is "right"-It is never the septic tank.

J.C.

Comment

Every spring ,does it go away during the summer? if your ac is tied into the plumbing the trap may have finally evaporated , and needs water

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        Every spring ,does it go away during the summer? if your ac is tied into the plumbing the trap may have finally evaporated , and needs water
        True. Some knuckleheads will often tie in a condensate drain or pan heater drain somewhere.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeyer View Post
          It actually gets worse when I open the windows.
          Makes me think its coming from outside.

Do you have a roof vent near the area? get a ladder, sniff it and see if it is the same smell. I've seen stink from vents curl around and get in the house. There are such things as charcoal filters to put on the vent.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

All the duct work is new 4 years ago, the ac condensation dumps into floor drain on main floor, no smell on first floor.
            Why would it get worse if I opened windows? I intentionaly open different windows to see if it matters and it really doesn't.
            Also I painted exterior last summer, and I made a point to look and make sure no critters were getting in.
            Do any of you guys think it might be venting issues?

Comment

Sewer smells can be the most aggravating mystery. The fact that it "gets worse" (according to your post) when you open the windows leads one to believe that it's coming from the outside-in.

If you have forced air A/C or heat on it makes it almost impossible 'cause the system is moving the smell all the time everywhere.

A plumber can perform a couple of tests (smoke or peppermint) and possibly find it.

Or might look at something and immediately know what's wrong.

J.C.

Comment

Yes, the smell is also in the summer.

I will get on the roof tomorrow and look at the vent pipe and see if it is close to a roof vent.

Thanks for all the input, I will let you guys know what I find.

Don

Comment

My mom had a problem with sewer smell outside her home.
                  Looking at the multiple pitches in her roof I decided to extend all her vents by two feet. Problem solved.

I'm guessing wind blowing across ridge is creating a vacuum/turbulence and sending the stank through drafty windows. When you open them the smell gets worse.

Keep in mind, I'm not a Plumber, but if I get this right it puts me that much closer to my honoree on line Plumbers license. It entitles me to..um...ahhh..., well not much really, but I can post nation wide on Craigslist
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

we found one where a vent was never finished and was covered by blown in insulation, it was near a vent in the attic, and 95% of the time it was fine but if the wind was just right and that attic vent was not venting it was a smelly mess, once we found it it was easy to fix finish out the vent pipe,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                    X