X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Tank fills Way Too Slowly

I have a standard toilet tank, not a econo-flush type. This is in a basement and is on a raised platform to solve the flush physics, being below grade. For a very long time it worked perfectly. Now the tank fills sooo slowly that it sometimes needs more than an hour before it can be flushed again. Nuisance! As my laundry and computer areas are in the basement, this toilet is really handy and gets a lo of use. But waiting more than an hour between tank fills is too inconvenient.

Not using a float ball and rod arrangement. This toilet is equipped with a Fluidmaster 200A, which works very well in terms of preventing overfill and nothing breaking or rotting out. But why the slow trickle fill, which is inaudible and takes forever to even start trickling into the tank, instead of the real gusher it used to get to fill immediately?

Any more info needed to help you analyze? Any ideas how to fix this?
    Many thanks.

Re: Toilet Tank fills Way Too Slowly

Originally posted by GizmoGal View Post
    I have a standard toilet tank, not a econo-flush type. This is in a basement and is on a raised platform to solve the flush physics, being below grade. For a very long time it worked perfectly. Now the tank fills sooo slowly that it sometimes needs more than an hour before it can be flushed again. Nuisance! As my laundry and computer areas are in the basement, this toilet is really handy and gets a lo of use. But waiting more than an hour between tank fills is too inconvenient.

Not using a float ball and rod arrangement. This toilet is equipped with a Fluidmaster 200A, which works very well in terms of preventing overfill and nothing breaking or rotting out. But why the slow trickle fill, which is inaudible and takes forever to even start trickling into the tank, instead of the real gusher it used to get to fill immediately?

Any more info needed to help you analyze? Any ideas how to fix this?
    Many thanks.
    Could you have galvanized piping? Either way, distribution water in a plumbing system is constantly moving, expanding, contracting etc. Even water that is thought to be "real clean" can leave debris in valves & pipes.

Probably got some debris in the valve or the internal seals have begin to fail in some way.

You could start taking things apart and make sure there clean and functioning. But I think the best thing is not to analyze it too much and just replace the valve. If you're uncomfortable with it just call a local
    plumber your friend's recommend.

J.C.

Comment

Is there a lot of debris like rust or dirt in the tank?
      Can you turn the knob on the valve that comes out of the wall?
      Does it feel gritty?

If yes then start by getting the wall valve( or angle stop) replaced then do the ball cock or flush valve.

Comment

You're in luck

The Fluidmaster is by far the easiest ballcock to repair

Turn water off, remove cap on ballcock by turning 1/4 turn, install a Fluidmaster #242 seal.

Total cost is less than $3

Comment

When you take it apart,take the seal out, and put it back together without the seal to flush it out , if the presure is good ,put in the new seal in and your done

Comment

Many thanks for the excellent insights to solve this annoying problem. I am making approaches to knowledgeable Y chromosomes in my sphere of friends who might be willing to tackle this, now that they have your theories to follow. I am quite sure that debris in the pipe, the valve or the fluidmaster is the problem as the guess that things are old and probably gritty is accurate.

The sugggestions are so logical and the instructions provided are easy enough to follow, so all I will need is a skilled volunteer or a referenced plumber. You guys have been a tresaure of information. Much appreciated.

Comment

the fluidmaster 200 is older than my wife

as big jim has noted, replace it with a code approved fluidmaster 400a.

don't waste your time servicing the 200 as parts are obsolete.

the cost for a 400 with new stainless water flex is under $12.00

prior to connecting it to the new ballcock, let the feed line run into a bucket or toilet to flush out any debris.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                You're in luck

The Fluidmaster is by far the easiest ballcock to repair

Turn water off, remove cap on ballcock by turning 1/4 turn, install a Fluidmaster #242 seal.

Total cost is less than $3
                In my experience the fluidmasters tend to develop a slow fill eventually. Still a good choice, but something to be aware of.

And for novices I usually recommend they shut the water off, slide the collar up and just replace the whole top of the assembly just to make it simple. Snap the new one down, snap the collar in place and you are done without using a tool. It's a good idea to slip the new o ring on the old base while you are at it.

Comment

And yeah.......go 400a.........I just assumed it was a reasonably new model.

Comment

Re: Toilet Tank fills Way Too Slowly--IT'S FIXED!!!

VICTORY!! My friend, Brian, came over and read thru this thread so he would know your collective suggestions and follow test ideas. He took the whole mess apart and drained it all carefully. After testing the shut-off valve on and off to make sure there was plenty of pressure in the water line itself(yes) he disconnected the feed pipe to the tank and examined that, blew compressed air thru it and tested water pressure thru that, too. No debris, good feed, strong flow.

So he went ahead and replaced the Fluidmaster that I had standing by for the swapout (my suspicions were on that part of the set-up after reading your ideas, guys) and then he reattached all the fittings and turned the valve back on. Instantaneous fill with the new Fluidmaster unit and it works perfectly after every flush. Didn't even have to adjust the float level from factory setting. New tubing on the fill hose and thing-y that clips to the tube helped, too. Brian's a hero and he sends his thanks for the guidance.

MY MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR GETTING MOMENTUM GOING BY YOUR IDEAS AND ENCOURAGEMENT THAT THIS WAS NOT TOO HARD TO TACKLE. This problem has been annoying me for 2 years although that old Fluidmaster was in there for at least 15. I'm glad to have it gone and to look forward to flushing with confidence.

This was a terrific forum experience. HUGE HELP.

Comment

Working...
                    X